    regon free.

    And give links with more info would be cool

    Thanks Daniel

    Daniel Farley, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Last time I walked through a Woolworth they had a stack of them sitting
    next to the checkout. Price around $130 .. $150 i.i.r.c.

    Now, I like the idea of DVDs, but what's the point? They make the things
    so damned expensive, I would rather drive 2 hours to a movie theatre and
    spend 12 bucks than shell out 40 bucks for a movie that I might watch
    once, or twice.

    Once DVD hire comes down, or the media is no more expensive than the cost
    of two movie visits, I may reconsider. As things are there's no way I'd
    buy a player, even though they are just about giving them away at
    present.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 1, 2003

  3. FWIW, loads of older discs are selling in europe for $8-12. Kids stuff as
    low as $5 (NZ$)

    It costs MORE than that to go to the flicks, even on cheap nights. 2
    tickets, parking, popcorn...
    I now have the complete range of Monty Python films and none of them cost
    more than NZ$9 apiece. (Grail and Brian were even a special 2 for $9)

    FWIW, check out amazon.com, if you're willing to wait 3 days you cen get
    your favourite series box sets for about 1/2-1/3 the NZ price.

    Having said that, some things are quite expensive. The average for 24
    series 2 or Taken box sets are about NZ$200, f'instance.

    And this is without even looking at pirate discs - reputable retailers, etc.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Daniel Farley

    steve Guest

    Daniel Farley allegedly said:
    I got a cheapo Mustek from DSE last Xmas that is easily made region-free. It
    works great.....though I know others had a different experience. The kids
    play MP3 CDs in it for *hours*.

    I think they sell and even cheaper model now.....so best to check.

    steve, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Daniel Farley

    Andrew Guest

    I know all the Pioneer models in NZ are Region Free

    Andrew, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Daniel Farley

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Have you ever thought about the money you'd save on power bills by turning
    your TV and computer OFF?

    For 12 bucks you can hire 3 DVD movies for 2 nights from some places. The
    Two Towers is the kind of movie that's well worth watching again. For you
    that would cost you another 12 bucks to sit in a lousy theatre seat for
    another 3 hours. You'd only be another 6 bucks away from owning the DVD
    along with all the special features that you wouldn't have seen at the movie
    theatre. A damn visit to a movie theatre isn't worth more than 6 bucks at
    the very most, to pay more is nothing but a rip off.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Not a whole lot. My computer+monitor only draw 1.2 amps under full load.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    I once figured out that for each PC it costs ~$9 a month if on 24/7
    This was overly generous, over estimating on each step.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  9. Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power that
    your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin double
    adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
    was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
    only draws about .3 or .4 amps.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  10. That's not what I meant. I meant that simply getting a larger power supply
    does nothing to increase the power draw of your computer. If you change
    components in your computer, then sure :). But you didn't explicitly say
    that in the message that I was replying to.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Daniel Farley

    geoffm Guest

    My Yukai is region free. The Yukai, Mustek 560 and Transonic are all
    the same under the front plastic and you can set the region code to
    whatever you want. Dick Smiths site has the instructions.
    The kmart Magnavox and woolworths/ Foodtown Muzida are region free
    IIRC.
    I am pleased with my Yukai - plays VCDs and DVDs fine, although it
    had trouble with one rental disk (scratched) which caused it to halt
    briefly at intervals. Ripping it to SVCD fixed it.

    geoffm, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Daniel Farley

    T-Boy Guest

    You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
    connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
    - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

    T-Boy, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    i guessing that you dont do alot of anything with your computer...

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  14. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
    inverter off that, and plug it into that.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  15. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  16. Daniel Farley

    colinco Guest

    I'd guess his PSU efficiency is high or his meter's is low.

    colinco, Sep 2, 2003
  17. Daniel Farley

    T.N.O. Guest

    maybe both, Computer PSU's are not known for their efficiency.

    T.N.O., Sep 3, 2003
  18. Daniel Farley

    T-Boy Guest

    LOL - did you make it, or buy the Thinkgeek version.

    I'm gonna do the same, run a wee light that will sit up on the
    Server monitor - so if the power goes off, I'll still have
    light to see what's happenning.

    T-Boy, Sep 3, 2003
  19. Daniel Farley

    The Flash Guest

    Thats not a PSU issue thats a simple consumption issue, turn off any tasks
    that run the cpu 100% loaded ( prime95, seti etc etc) set power saving to
    turn off HDD and monitor and set system to suspend to memory after 30 mins
    of inactivity and the consumption will be minor.

    The monitor is the real hog as it cannot save power when being used in a
    visual mode, when TFT's get to $300 I will get on the power saving
    justerfication.

    The Flash, Sep 3, 2003
  20. Daniel Farley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've done that but using a stand-alone old AT PSU next to my PC.
    UPS? He did say server.

    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003