stacking with panorama tools?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Karl P, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Karl P

    Karl P Guest

    Hi, I've got a series of pictures of a tree, taken over the course of a
    year, and I want to combine this into a video showing the passing of
    the seasons.

    I can happily make the video, that's fine, but what I'd like to do is
    line up the images a bit better. They were all taken from roughly the
    same place in the yard, but some are pointed up/down a bit more than
    others.

    I imagine that this is the sort of problem solved with one of the
    panorama toolsets. The corner of my house, the tree trunk, and the
    basketball hoop in the neighbours yards are fixed objects.

    However all the panotools I've looked at seem to be set up for finding
    common ground and then stitching the images. I just want to realign a
    bunch of images. Same problem at the detection stage, but the output
    is a bit different.

    Has anyone tried this (presumably) and did they get it to work? (and if
    you did, I'd love to hear about it :)

    Cheers,
    Karl P

    Karl P, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Karl P

    Cuz Guest

    || Hi, I've got a series of pictures of a tree, taken over the
    || course of a year, and I want to combine this into a video
    || showing the passing of the seasons.
    || I can happily make the video, that's fine, but what I'd like
    || to do is line up the images a bit better. They were all
    || taken from roughly the same place in the yard, but some are
    || pointed up/down a bit more than others.
    || I imagine that this is the sort of problem solved with one of
    || the panorama toolsets. The corner of my house, the tree
    || trunk, and the basketball hoop in the neighbours yards are
    || fixed objects.
    || However all the panotools I've looked at seem to be set up
    || for finding common ground and then stitching the images. I
    || just want to realign a bunch of images. Same problem at the
    || detection stage, but the output is a bit different.
    || Has anyone tried this (presumably) and did they get it to
    || work? (and if you did, I'd love to hear about it :)
    || Cheers,
    || Karl P

    I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it was
    a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the orientation
    and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures one
    at a time sizing and cropping each.

    BJ

    Cuz, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Karl P

    Alex Guest

    Yes, I've done a similar thing PSP9 too, where you show on stacked layers
    (the photos you want to alter) one at a time, using the background as the
    'perfect' template.

    It's still going to be reasonable painfull getting it pixel perfect tho'.

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Karl P

    Hunt Guest

    Using and manipulating Layers in PS (sorry, I do not know PSP), you can get
    very good alignment. Outputting the file's Layers as separate images (or by
    turning off all but one Layer, at a time) to ImageReady (part of PS, but a
    Web-based image program) and animating it would be easy.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Karl P

    Cuz Guest

    || Yes, I've done a similar thing PSP9 too, where you show on
    || stacked layers (the photos you want to alter) one at a time,
    || using the background as the 'perfect' template.
    || It's still going to be reasonable painfull getting it pixel
    || perfect tho'.
    || Alex
    || |||
    ||| I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it
    ||| was
    ||| a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the
    ||| orientation
    ||| and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures
    ||| one
    ||| at a time sizing and cropping each.
    ||| BJ

    Not easy, but it doen't have to be exact.

    Cuz, Oct 26, 2005
  6. Karl P

    Cuz Guest

    || In article <_CL7f.6951$q%>,
    || [email protected]_cousins.org says...
    ||| I have accomplished this using photo software (PSP), but it
    ||| was
    ||| a manual operation. I cropped the first photo to the
    ||| orientation
    ||| and size I wanted to use. I manually overlayed the pictures
    ||| one
    ||| at a time sizing and cropping each.
    ||| BJ
    ||| --
    ||| "Those people who are routinely and adamantly 'moral' are
    ||| usually the first to oppress others in the name of their
    ||| 'morality'..." -
    || Using and manipulating Layers in PS (sorry, I do not know
    || PSP), you can get very good alignment. Outputting the file's
    || Layers as separate images (or by turning off all but one
    || Layer, at a time) to ImageReady (part of PS, but a Web-based
    || image program) and animating it would be easy.
    || Hunt

    PSP is similar in function to PS. It can be used in the same
    way.
    I have made animations from a series of photos by morphing
    from one to the next.

    Cuz, Oct 26, 2005
  7. Karl P

    Hunt Guest

    Thanks for the clarification. I see a lot of positive posts re: PSP, and even
    recommend it, based on those posts, for people, who do not need to spend the $
    for PS. However, I have never used it. If it does what the OP needs, I'd never
    recommend PS, because of the "learning curve," and the price.

    Again, thanks,
    Hunt

    Hunt, Oct 28, 2005
  8. Karl P

    Karl P Guest

    I was actually only interested in using something like panorama
    software that could automatically do it for me. Without being overly
    patronizing, I'm well aware that I can stack them as layers and do it
    manually. I just don't want to :)

    I feel that it should be much like panorama tools. Take a bunch of
    images, and look for the common points. Only in this case, it's going
    to line up a whole heap of images on top of each other, instead of
    spreading out to the side. And I want it to spit out the images
    individually, not as one big stacked blob. Same technology for
    detection, different output.

    Karl P, Oct 28, 2005
  9. Karl P

    Don Wiss Guest

    And PTGui can't do this?

    Don Wiss, Oct 29, 2005
  10. Karl P

    Alex Guest

    Karl,

    I wasn't suggsting you group the layers at all, more that you show each one,
    one at a time, above the template background in order to get them as good as
    possible, rather than attempting to do it in a panoramic editor.

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 29, 2005
  11. Karl P

    Joan Guest

    The object of panorama software is to get one single image. I don't imagine
    this is what you want.

    Joan, Oct 30, 2005
  12. Karl P

    Chris Brown Guest

    Hugin (front end for Panotools) can output a layered PSD file, with each of
    the images intact. Might be useful.

    Chris Brown, Oct 30, 2005