SSL or TLS?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Melic, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Melic

    Melic Guest

    I am using a newsprovider that accepts SSL on port 563,
    I use all this with the Opera browser which in the
    settings for news has a TLS box that needs to be
    checked.

    I have been searching information about the difference
    between SSL and TLS, and all I understood is that TLS
    is some SSL version 3, the latest. But I still do not
    understand what is exactly the difference, my newsprovider
    names it SSL, my newsreader TLS but it works as if it
    was the same thing, yet itsn't otherwise they wouldnt
    have a different name.

    Anyone can clarify or give some link that explain how TLS
    is different from SSL, and how does it affect the average
    user?

    I have also seen this difference many times in email
    services that promise SSL connexions and others name it
    TLS.

    Melic, Oct 4, 2006