    Heh, I half expected that. When I did a whois on the domain I thought it
    might be all kosha because it was registered to a .edu email address. I
    guess I was wrong... thanks.

    madknoxie, Oct 28, 2003

  2. You don't even need certificates to do encryption. All you need is an
    encryption key (for secret-key encryption) or key pair ( for public-key
    encryption).

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Waste of time. I had a client who was dealing with an outfit that
    provided a credit-card service like this. It was a pain in the bum, not
    just to us, but to people trying to buy stuff from us. A lot of them got
    as far as the checkout page, and then simply gave up and went away.

    In the end, the service went out of business (guess why). The service we
    deal with now depends on us to capture the credit card details and pass
    them on. Much more seamless experience all round for the customer. (I
    wrote the code that runs in the middle, and I was careful to ensure that
    we don't hang on to sensitive information for longer than necessary.)

    Face it: credit card numbers are not really that secret. Your protection
    as a credit-card holder lies in checking your statements for anything
    suspicious, and querying those items promptly with your credit card
    company. If/when you do so, the company will tend to take your side. (I
    speak from experience.)

    Bruce Schneier has pointed out that, in effective security terms, this
    is a waste of time. The link between the vendor's server and your
    browser was never the weakest link in the security chain anyway.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2003
  4. madknoxie

    AD. Guest

    Of course, but can you make Joe Publics browser use encryption
    transparently without a cert?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 29, 2003
  5. madknoxie

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Depends on how much you're willing to pay

    The site www.freessl.org claims to offer objective price comparisons.

    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 27, 2003
  6. madknoxie

    SomebodyElse Guest

    www.thawte.com
    Depends what you want. All I've needed have been free.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Nov 27, 2003