sRGB and SWOP color spaces

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dale, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    SWOP color space was around before ICC
    http://www.color.org

    during the beginnings of ICC I was involved at Kodak in systems R&D

    I knew, and communicated, on Kodak's internal ICC mailing list, that the
    pursuit of sRGB would lead to people not using ICC, not calibrating
    their devices, not characterizing their devics, but making their devices
    as close to that standard and not using a profile

    of what I have seen, this is the case

    digital cameras use sRGB, monitors use sRGB, etc.,

    I'm not saying, sRGB, SWOP, or ProPhotoRGB are good working spaces, but
    they don't replace an actual profile for the device

    soon this shit will hit the fan in "soft proofing", proofing output on
    the monitor, since monitors are now not only CRT with a couple different
    phosphors now, but those CRT,LCD,LED,Plasma,OLED

    there should be some communication is using REAL profiles in color
    managed workflows
    http://www.color.org

    Dale, Jan 19, 2014

  2. Dale

    Dale Guest

    and spectrum cut-off filters?

    hardware doesn't really apply when you need to translate one device
    color to another, unless the devices are similar, like both RGB, and
    even then there are issues like gamut mapping, etc.

    if you really want a multi-purpose image, you need software

    Dale, Jan 21, 2014

  3. Dale

    Dale Guest

    or embedded software, anyways, software