    programmer's point of view?

    Thanks!
    Venkat

    Venkat, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Venkat

    Guest Guest

    If you are using ADO.NET, then there is little difference between selecting,
    inserting, updating a SQL Server database and a MS Access database. Are you
    basically wanting to learn T-SQL and stored procedures?

    Guest, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Venkat

    Venkat Guest

    I am looking for something that will answer basic
    questions like:

    1. What is SQl server?
    2. How does it work?
    3. How is it different from MS access?
    4. Where can I get a free version of SQl server?
    5. How do I get it up and running on a standalone
    development machine?
    5. How do I develop databases with SQl server?
    6. How do I make those databases talk to VB.NET?

    Thanks!
    Venkat

    Venkat, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Venkat

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Venkat

    EC Guest

    Ms Access is a toddler and SQL Server is a grown-up. You can download the
    trial version, good for 120 days, at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

    When on the page, click on the "SQL Server 2000 Features" link to read what
    SQL Server is and how it works.

    Installing it on your standalone development machine , which is a straight
    forward task, and its Service Mager will be automatically run by default.

    Read the Books Online after the installation. The "Building SQL Server
    Application" section contains all information you are asking here.

    Microsoft ADO .NET Step by Step book should be good for a beginner level of
    both the VB .Net and C# .NET.

    EC, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Venkat

    Schfooge Guest

    Or you can start out with the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine
    (also known as the MS Data Engine (MSDE)). It's free and you
    can download it from microsoft at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/default.asp

    Schfooge, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Venkat

    Guest Guest

    MSDE is o.k. if and when it comes time to deploy a distributed database on
    the user's PC. However, he may want to become familiar with the standard GUI
    (EM, QA, etc.) if he wants to lean SQL Server for the exam.

    As far as I know, the only GUI for MSDE are provided by 3rd parties?

    Guest, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Venkat

    Kline Sphere Guest

    As far as I know, the only GUI for MSDE are provided by 3rd parties?

    No big lose. Gives people the opportunity to learn how to write
    scrips.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Venkat

    Kline Sphere Guest

    You can install the Enterprise Manager from a SQL
    By doing so, may be illegal.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Venkat

    Schfooge Guest

    What I was thinking was that he might want to play around with
    the MSDE first a bit before laying out money on a developer copy.

    And tecnically there is a Microsoft GUI you can use with the
    MSDE. You can install the Enterprise Manager from a SQL
    Server 2000 install disk:

    1. choose "SQL Server 2000 Components" from the startup screen.
    2. choose "Install database server"
    3. go throught the install process until you reach a screen offering
    you the option of: Client Tools Only
    Server And Client Tools
    Connectivity Only
    4. choose "Client Tools Only" and finish the installation.

    This installs the Enterprise Manager, and it works no problem
    with the MSDE. The only catch is that you have to own a
    license for the SQL Server 2000 disk for this to be legal.
    This setup is great for learning SQL Server on a single machine
    or a small home network.

    Schfooge, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Venkat

    Schfooge Guest

    As long as you own a license for the SQL Server 2000 install
    CD, this is legal.

    Schfooge, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Venkat

    Kline Sphere Guest