Spyware - Red Icon - Help Required

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by 01dec05, Sep 8, 2006.

1. 01dec05

01dec05

I friend I was working on net and suddenly I found a red icon right-bottom side, it continuously showing a message “Your Computer Is Infected” Windows has detected spyware infection….

I have run PC-cillin, Symantec and SPY-Bot antivirus scans on my laptop and removed the found problems.

But I am not able to remove “Red Icon”, Can some one help me, Does my computer still having any virus? If yes how can I remove it?

Thanks in advance

01dec05, Sep 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. 01dec05

bigal

It's very possible you still have a virus. Some of the virus programs install themselves in many places, including startup folders and boot sectors of the hard drive. Try creating a new user on your machine, and see if that user is also "infected" with the red icon.

I use "Spy Sweeper" to prevent infestation. It's better than the free Spy Bot Search and Destroy, but it does cost about $20 USD. You may want to consider a reformatting of the hard drive with a fresh install of Windows to ultimately get rid of the virus infestation, but that's a last measure to take. Keep in mind that if you use "system restore", you could be bringing back the virus from a previous saved configuration.

bigal, Sep 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. 01dec05

Gez

to me it sounds like mal-ware... that stuff can be nasty to get rid of.

Gez, Sep 11, 2006
  4. 01dec05

Don35

YOU PROBABLY HAVE something I had a while back. THIS is a wallpaper hijacker. Look up SPY SHERIFF and find information to get rid of it. To confirm, try changing your wall paper. The "malware" edits registry entries and polices and does not let you change it. ITS a HTML file on your PC, I think its called "desktop.html" or something. IT is not a virus or spyware and thats why nothing can detect it. IT is just a file you need to delete and change your registry back. IF YOU can get to RESTORE POINTS on your XP , that would be the fastest way to fix it.

Don35, Sep 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question