    they found a real threat that the other programs failed to find?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Oct 27, 2007

  2. PeterOut

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In PeterOut
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5666

    http://p2p.malwareremoval.com/details.html#bear

    Bert Hyman, Oct 27, 2007

  3. PeterOut

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeterOut wrote:
    Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    alt.computer.security

    You are a crossposting googlegrouper. Groups trimmed to where I read
    the message. Do not crosspost to groups you don't read.
    Spyware detector's false positives and listing/delisting in rogue
    spyware discussed here
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm Rogue/Suspect
    Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

    Presenting antispyware scan results discussed here
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/asw-notes/asw-results.htm The Challenge
    to Anti-Spyware Vendors

    Bearshare's status as adware infested discussed here
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/soft23a.htm Spyware-Infested
    P2P/Filesharing Apps

    It would be better to read and post to usenet groups with a newsreader
    to a newsserver instead of GG. Use GG for its archival function only.

    http://news.aioe.org/ nntp.aioe.org 119, 80
    http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?rubrique9 How to configure the most
    common newsreaders - Win: Tbird Moz Opera Gravity XNews

    aioe isn't an ideal choice -- but it is a much better choice than GG and
    once you are using a newsreader and a newsserver you can find some other
    choices of newsservers.

    Mike Easter, Oct 27, 2007
  4. PeterOut

    Tony Guest

    I believe it's bearshit not bearshare.

    Tony, Oct 27, 2007
  5. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    Thank you very much for the reply. "Spyware Detector" made it seem
    much worse http://www.spywaredetector.net/spyware_encyclopedia/Spyware.BearShare.htm
    ..

    PeterOut, Oct 28, 2007
  6. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    I had never heard of it before Spyware Detector told me that it found
    it on my system and was critical level spyware.

    PeterOut, Oct 28, 2007
  7. PeterOut

    Jim Watt Guest

    If you haven't installed it it certainly should not be there !

    Its crapware. remove it.

    Jim Watt, Oct 28, 2007
  8. PeterOut

    rjdriver Guest

    Bearshare is one of dozens of file sharing apps out there that contains
    adware and spyware. If it's not a false reading and actually on your
    system, depending on which version you have, it could be the 180 Solutions
    spyware, When U, New Dot Net, or Quick Search Bar.

    Uninstall Bearshare, but let who ever in your family is using it know
    first in case they may need to save some files that might be in the
    bearshare directory. Then you will probably need some anti-spyware
    programs to get rid of what's left.
    You can start with the free ones, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware, but
    you may need manual surgery to get rid of the crap that 180 Solutions and
    When U dole out.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Oct 28, 2007
  9. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    Spyware Detector is crapware, and it shouldn't be used.

    --
    Dustin Cook, Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool - v2.2d
    Email.:

    Dustin Cook, Oct 28, 2007
  10. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    They are seperate installers included with BearShare. BearShare itself
    isn't spyware/adware. It's an important distinction.
    Remove the offensive programs and replace them with dummy executables and
    bearshare runs fine, if thats your p2p choice... There are better options
    in p2p.

    As well as what Spyware Detector may have included. It's worse than
    bearshare.

    Dustin Cook, Oct 28, 2007
  11. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    I did not find 180solutions using Search. I did find it in the
    registry, along with a lot of really nasty looking stuff, in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:Software:Microsoft:Windows:Internet
    Settings:p3P:History . Most of the stuff I didn't recognize. I am
    not sure if I should delete entries from there since it may be sites
    that are supposed to be blocked.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Oct 29, 2007
  12. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    That's good to know. Spybot Search and Destroy flagged Spyware
    Detector, along with Spyware Hunter and No Adware which I had
    installed to look for spyware. I let it remove them which is
    apparently what I should have done.

    Thanks very much,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Oct 29, 2007
  13. PeterOut

    Plato Guest

    Perhaps that's the reason I dont have it listed on my 25,000
    visitors/day page.

    Plato, Oct 29, 2007
  14. PeterOut

    Guest

    I saw your website www.bootdisk.com mentioned on the front page of
    DIgg.com, I know you were hit really hard that day :)

    I was impressed that you survived, all but the high bandwidth sites
    can be taken down by a Digg.com (or Slashdot.org) article.

    , Oct 29, 2007
  15. PeterOut

    Plato Guest

    Grin, my son visits digg every day, and he told me about it the same day
    I was on their first page. By the time I actually saw my site there I
    was already on the second page of digg. I'm not one for planning in
    advance, but luckily, with my new web hoster, I arranged for potential
    new traffic in advance way before I was on digg, so digg did NOT take me
    down. I even survived a slashdot article as well.

    Again, I did plan for this and have been paying for it for years. In
    fact, I just sent a check for $200 to my webhoster.

    Basically because, personally, I want to always be able to get to my
    "own" site LOL.
    I dont actually have a high bandwidth site, but yes, I need the server
    set up to handle way more multiple connections than the average tech
    site. I take my hobby very seriously.

    For the future, I am planning on a Vista Only site, ie
    http://www.keyboardnotdetected.com/

    It's in limbo now, hosted for free in exchange for the hosters google
    ads. As you know, it takes years to develop a good website. Should I
    bother with a Vista Only site or not???

    Plato, Oct 30, 2007
  16. PeterOut

    paul Guest

    1. Download and run firefox to protect your from future spyware
    attacks and pop ups which are coming in through internet explorer
    (Trojan downloaders, win32 ) .Then update your windows through firefox
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/spyware-fighter-essentials.html

    Also install internet explorer 7 which is now free for everyone
    oct2007
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/10/internet-explorer-7-available-now-to.html
    This should stop 50% of the spyware and popups attacking your
    computer

    2. Run the vundo and combo fix
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html

    3. Run the anti spyware remove programs spybot
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/spybot-search-and-destroy-spyware-and.html

    and superantispyware
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html
    to get rid of the nasties

    4. Run a free online virus scan to be sure you computer is virus and
    spyware free.
    http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/03/online-virus-scan.html

    paul, Nov 12, 2007
  17. PeterOut

    Sebastian G. Guest

    5. Now your system still is compromised. Why did you listen to such an idiot?

    Sebastian G., Nov 12, 2007
  18. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    I'm not finding much in support of your comments sir. You still can't be
    bothered to answer my questions regarding my program. I suspect you are a
    total waste of various individuals time and effort.

    Dustin Cook, Nov 12, 2007
  19. PeterOut

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Dustin Cook wrote:

    Of course not, since I won't suggest any solution to a not even particularly
    solvable problem (bringing a complex system of unknown state back to a
    well-defined state without having any backups).

    Since there's anything to say that I haven't already said. I tested the
    mentioned program and found various false positives. Period.

    Sebastian G., Nov 13, 2007
  20. PeterOut

    Dustin Cook Guest

    Aha. Would you mind posting the BUGHUNT.LOG file in this case? I'd like
    to clear up any false positive issues regarding it.

    Dustin Cook, Nov 13, 2007