Spyware '207.net' keeps coming back?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tuzzles, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Tuzzles

    Tuzzles Guest

    Hi All,

    Hope youve had a great day/night

    I have a problem in that whenever I run lavasoft adaware, it detects this
    tracking cookie '/'

    I tell adaware to remove it, it does and then after a reboot and more
    browsing, i do another check and its back.

    It keeps reappearing!

    I have all latest win updates, av protection, firewall and running xp pro
    with sp2. Cookies are also set to high.

    How do I prevent this 207.net cookie coming back?

    Thanks,

    -T

    Tuzzles, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Tuzzles

    sethra Guest

    [snip]
    Several options:

    Use a HOSTS file to block the IP

    Use an HTTP proxy to block unwanted cookies (and other assorted web
    nasties)

    Use a 3rd party cookie control program

    Use a browser with cookie controls such as Firefox

    Links:

    HOSTS
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html

    HTTP proxies:
    The Proxomitron (recommended)
    http://www.proxomitron.info/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~vsetten/prox/
    Privoxy
    http://www.privoxy.org/

    Cookie controls:
    I don't use a 3rd party cookie control app since The Proxomitron already
    does this. There are gobs of them available, however, including many
    freeware ones. Use your favorite search engine or freeware archive to
    locate one -- try 'em out, and stick with the one you like best.

    Firefox:

    Regards,

    sethra, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Tuzzles

    Tuzzles Guest

    Thanks heaps for that Sethra

    Thats more of a prevention though that Ill look at once I get rid of it. Now
    that I have it, how can I get rid of it is more of my concern.

    Cheers,

    -T

    Tuzzles, Oct 14, 2004
  4. Tuzzles

    Ionizer Guest

    You could add the entry *.207.net to your Restricted Sites zone in IE.

    Eric Howe created and maintains something called "IE-SPYAD," a reg file
    which instantly puts a huge list of "advertisers and known
    crapware-pushers" into your Restricted Sites zone:
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm Since I used IE-SPYAD
    several months ago, I've noticed that AdAware almost never finds tracking
    cookies on my system any more.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Tuzzles

    Ionizer Guest

    Just delete the cookie. Either have AdAware do it for you, or do it
    yourself. Delete all your cookies if you like- in IE, Tools > Internet
    Options "Delete Cookies."

    This cookie isn't regenerating itself- you are picking it up while
    browsing.

    Ionizer, Oct 14, 2004
  6.
    Lady Chatterly's Fucker, Oct 14, 2004
  7.
    Lady Chatterly's Fucker, Oct 14, 2004
  8.
    Lady Chatterly's Fucker, Oct 14, 2004
  9. Tuzzles

    The Tech Guy Guest

    got to www.supportcave.com
    follow the 3 steps to spyware removal

    also spysweeper if u choose has an auto protection, that can help prevent
    spyware
    if your using windows XP get SP2
    on www.supportcave.com go to the spyware prevention page
    and install spywareblaster it GREAT for spyware prevention

    or dump IE and use firefox
    http://www.mozilla.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/index.html
    it will import all your IE favorites for you

    --
    Jason

    Adware Spyware Removal - Scan your PC Absolutely FREE
    http://www.supportcave.com/spy-sweeper.html

    The Tech Guy, Oct 14, 2004