    Any views would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Emrys Davies

    °Mike° Guest

    Only you can decide that. If you are having trouble deciding,
    and cleaning up usage tracks is not an issue, then ignore
    the usage tracks and negligible objects -- you can set both
    programs to ignore these.

    °Mike°, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Thanks Mike, I follow that and have made sure that the relevant boxes
    are unchecked.

    Now that we are on the subject, do you think that there is any merit in
    closing down running programs (msconfig- Startup and Screensaver) when
    running Skybot-S&D and other similar programs?

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Emrys Davies

    °Mike° Guest

    There is absolutely NO merit in closing programs with
    msconfig; msconfig is a diagnostic utility, not a startup
    manager. When you wish to prevent programs from
    starting at bootup, use their options or preferences.

    The only programs that need to be closed during spyware
    scans are your browser/s...generally.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Emrys Davies

    Boris Yankov Guest

    Now that we are on the subject, do you think that there is any merit in
    Msconfig is only disabling the items but is not stopping them.
    You can do that from Windows Task Manager.

    Its better that you use some good startup manager to do that if you
    don't feel an expert. Look at InControl at
    http://www.virtuoza.com/InControl/product.php

    Close all Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer windows before
    performing the clean-up by Spybot because some spyapps are explorer
    plugins and may not be deleted if they are currently started.

    Boris Yankov, Sep 23, 2004