SpotLight not displaying comments of camera images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Apr 3, 2010.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I just noticed this. But apparently after I upgraded from Tiger to Snow
    Leopard none of the pictures that I had imported from my Canon camera
    show any spotlight comments. I have not touched the camera nor its
    settings in these areas. Like for example the comments below appear in
    all shots taken with my Canon when it was connected to Mac OSX Tiger.

    width/height: 1600 x 1200
    resolution: 180 dpi
    Canon PowerShot A1100 IS

    width/height: 4000 x 3000
    resolution: 180 dpi
    Canon PowerShot A1100 IS

    Does anyone know why Snow Leopard stopped these comments from showing?

    Thanks,

    John

    John, Apr 3, 2010

  2. John

    John Wolf Guest

    In the file get info window the info appears.

    or perhaps under the
    I dont know.

    John Wolf, Apr 4, 2010

  3. John

    John Guest

    John, Apr 4, 2010
  4. John

    Rich Guest

    Is it true that Apple's OS underpinnings are Unix?

    Rich, Apr 4, 2010
  5. Have you tried asking Jebus?

    doublePlusPaleo, Apr 4, 2010
  6. John

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Apple's Mac OS is "an Open Brand UNIX 03 Registered Product,
    conforming to the SUSv3 and POSIX 1003.1 specifications for the
    C API, Shell Utilities, and Threads." So sayeth the Open Group,
    owners of the UNIX trademark.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 4, 2010
  7. John

    John Guest

    Yes I saw the info there. However its not in the spotlight comments
    field. Why?

    John

    John, Apr 4, 2010
  8. John

    John Guest

    I did expand it and it did show. But why not in the spotlight comments
    as in Mac OS Tiger?

    John, Apr 4, 2010
  9. John

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Spotlight requires "assistance" modules (e.g.
    /Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter) to interpret the contents of
    structured files. Perhaps the upgrade to SL removed the module which
    interpreted the EXIF data in your photos or, more likely, the module is
    incompatible with the OS modifications in Snow Leopard.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 4, 2010
  10. John

    John Guest

    Well every single photo and video downloaded to my Mac when I had Tiger
    with that camera has info in the spotlight comments, section, and I DID
    NOT enter in info of hundreds of photos. However none of the images
    taken during the days I owned a Kodak camera, and even before that a
    Vivitar have pre fill in info. Why this is? I have no clue.

    John

    John, Apr 4, 2010
  11. John

    John Guest

    If this is true how do I get it back? I have to to install about 2 files
    that Snow Leopard deleted or for some reason Migration assistant did not
    transfer over.

    John, Apr 4, 2010
  12. OSX is a three level system at the core the kernel is from NextStep.
    Then FreeBSD Unix in the middle and the Macintosh Finder (GUI) sits on top.

    Originally Apple used the BSD (Berkley systems development) version
    which was two restrictive (hadn't been updated by Berkley university in
    ages) Plus The had to pay Berkley a "heavy royalty"

    With the advent of the Intel Mac's who knows what they might be using.
    Might be XFree.

    Phillip Jones, Apr 4, 2010
  13. John

    John Wolf Guest

    Expanding the window, opening preview, and typing in the data would be
    extra steps. Wonder why that script is not working in SL. Perhaps this
    is an issue with the Canon camera. I dont know why as I dont use their
    software if they have anything for the Mac. My guess is that the CD that
    came with the camera was for Windows, or that the software was very lame
    for the Mac and so I never took it out of the box.

    Well I guess clicking on the more info in the get info window would be
    the best solution.

    John

    John Wolf, Apr 4, 2010
  14. John

    John Guest

    John, Apr 5, 2010
  15. John

    John Guest

    Doing this as I type.
    How do I re-index that folder?

    No idea what and why it did not transfer to SL when I did the migration
    transfer.

    John, Apr 5, 2010