spoolsv.exe and spoolss.dll

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MINAL, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. MINAL

    MINAL Guest

    My system mecahnic registry cleaner reports that Mcfee scanned
    spoolsv.exe and
    spoolss.dll but then put it in the excluded item and made a registry
    entry.
    So can it be that those two files are infected but Mcafee could not
    clean it as
    they were system files. In that case what should I do and if that is
    not the case what
    does the registry entry mean which is only for these two system files
    as excluded
    items from scan and not any other system files and what should I do?.

    I am using Win XP and IE 6.0

    After the scan is complete from System mechanic I get the following

    Invalid Data Location - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates
    \TVD\Shared Components\On Demand Scanner\Scan32\ScanItems
    Value Name - ScanItem_0
    Value Data - C:\|1
    Entry Date 06/28/2004 6:34pm

    When I scan the two using Mcafee keeping them in a separate folder I
    dont get any
    infection messages.

    Thanks for your help.

    MINAL, Jul 1, 2004

  2. MINAL

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (MINAL) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/spoolsv/
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/spoolss/

    I have never heard of a DLL file getting infected. You can search Google to
    see if it can happen.

    If you have some how moved spoolsv.exe out of the Windows/system32
    directory, the O/S went to Windows/system32/dllcache and copied spoolsv.exe
    and put it back in the right place and went on about its business.

    A backup of all critical O/S files are kept in Windows/system32/dllcache
    and the O/S will do a replacement of a file and put it back in the right
    place if the file comes up missing out of the its original directory.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 2, 2004