SplWOW64.exe prevents RDP sessions from disconnecting.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I just set up a new WS2003/64 bit Terminal Server with all updates. I have a
    legacy Delphi application run by Remote Desktop clients. I don't experience
    this problem in Windows 2000/32 bit Terminal Server. I discovered that the
    problem appears to be that splwow64.exe is not closing after the application
    closes.

    I tried the registry setting for SplWOW64TimeOut. This seems to work after
    several minutes (when set to 1 minute). But this is too long to wait;
    especially if the user wants to quit. For some reason, my users don't like
    having to wait 2 minutes or more to quit an application. Especially when the
    feedback that they get on close is a locked up blank blue screen. This is
    particulary unacceptable for users on thin client terminals who cannot open a
    second RDP session before the previous session times out.

    I haven't found any references to fixing this problem; other than the
    SplWOW64TimeOut registry setting.

    This is a real show stopper for migrating to Windows Server 2003/64 bit
    Terminal Server.

    Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

    Guest, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Guest

    BMTaylor10 Guest

    Did anyone find an answer to this?

    BMTaylor10, May 5, 2009

  3. Guest

    Kirk.RS Guest

    The answer to this is that MS in their infinite wisdom, decided not t
    add this new background process/service to their list of TS processe
    within the registry. So when your application quits, the TS Sessio
    treats SPLwow64.exe as an application!

    Save the following details to msrdp-x64-fix.reg

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Termina
    Server\SysProcs]
    "SPLWOW64.EXE"=dword:00000000

    Just run file on any x64 terminal Server.

    Cheers

    Ric

    Kirk.RS, Oct 26, 2009