Splitting Large Files (With Certain Requirements)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Group,

    I have a situation where I need to split multiple large files from our
    AS/400 every week. Specifically, I have about 14 files that are
    commonly 233,361,126 records, exceeding 32,203,835,388 bytes!! I have
    a batch file that automatically downloads them from the mainframe and
    renames them appropriately (easy stuff), which is irrelevant to this
    discussion, but I need to write a batch file using a utility that will
    split them with the following things in mind:

    1. I have to be able to name the output file appropriately. So, a
    file with the name of xyz.sdf should be named xyz001.sdf, xyz002.sdf,
    xyz003.sdf, etc..

    2. I have to be able to give it the ouput size that I want it to be
    split into. So, using the xyz.sdf example above, I would want to
    specify that it be broken into shards that are approximately 1,900
    MBYTES.

    3. Most importantly, I have to be able to specify a record length.
    This tells the "splitter" where a record ends so that it can be split
    up correctly for use in a database at a later time. Without a record
    length specification, the splitter is useless to me. For the xyz.sdf
    example above, I would specify that the "layout length" be 138.

    With these requirements in mind, I searched high and low for various
    filesplit programs on the web. Some were windows based and some were
    web based. I found programs that would do some of these requirements,
    but not all of them. It seems as though the biggest problem is finding
    something that will do option 3. It's as if there is no way to specify
    record length when splitting files.

    Do any of you split large mainframe files? Ideally, I could write a
    batch program to do this so it is automated. We spend many man-hours
    screwing around with this manual labor.

    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as it is something I
    haven't been able to figure out.

    Thanks,

    Joel

    Guest, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Guest

    dogsBollix Guest

    wrote in
    get a professional programmer to write you a bespoke progy
    shouldn't cost much and with the labour saved could even save you money
    :)

    dB

    dogsBollix, Mar 23, 2006