Split DNS with PIX-to-PIX VPNs?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I have a pair of PIX 501s (running 6.3(4)) that I use for a PIX-to-PIX
    VPN. The standard configuration, main office with a bunch o' servers
    (including DNS) and remote office with a single client and no DNS
    server.

    Ordinarily, requests for public data go out through the internet
    (google.com for example), with private requests for the "other side" of
    the VPN going out through the internet and then through the remote
    host's PIX.

    However, is there any way that I can enable any kind of "split-DNS"
    function? Whereby I can somehow specify on the PIX that DNS requests
    for the bar.com domain should be handled by the DNS server at
    192.168.0.1, and all other DNS requests should go to my ISP's DNS
    server at 1.2.3.4?

    As I would rather not have *all* DNS requests traverse the VPN if I
    want to the client computer to be able to reverse-resolve IPs in the
    private network...

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Chris, Oct 18, 2006