Splice internet connection?

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Robert Crandal, Oct 27, 2013.

  1. I have 3 computers at home and I want each computer to
    be able to use the Internet via ethernet cables. I do NOT
    want to use a WiFi router. I also do NO want these
    3 computers to be "networked", meaning I do not
    want Computer #1 to be able to read files from Computer #2,
    and vice versa, etc...etc...

    I basically just want to "splice" or "split" up my Internet
    signal 3 ways. Is this possible?? What piece of hardware
    do I need for this?? Do I need a switch??

    I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

    Robert C.
    Robert Crandal, Oct 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  2. Robert Crandal

    VanguardLH Guest

    A hub, switch, or router (which has a switch) all put the input hosts on
    the same wire. You would need one of these with a firewalling option to
    isolate the input hosts. By default, both a switch and router (which is
    a switch, too) allows networking between connected hosts. A layer 2
    switch only works with MAC addresses and is used for workgroup
    connectivity and network segmentation. A layer 3 switch is the same as
    a router with differences being in implementation.

    With a switch, the IP address of every host is exposed to the WAN side
    of that switch. That means you'll need to pay extra from your ISP to
    get 2 additional IP addresses (since they only give you 1 already). A
    router incorporates NAT (network address translation) so N input hosts
    to the router only have only 1 WAN-side IP address from the router. You
    probably only have 1 IP address allocated to you by your ISP and they'll
    charge for more IP addresses. To avoid the costs of leasing more IP
    addresses from your ISP, use a router.

    You'll have to configure the switch or router to isolate the input hosts
    from each other since the default purpose is to network them together on
    the same wire. To isolate LAN hosts but grant them WAN-side access (to
    the Internet) means using a firewall or access control option. VPN
    rules might also work: each host would need a VPN run to isolate its
    traffic to the router, would keep it separate of traffic to other LAN
    hosts, but grant WAN access (Internet). My old low-end D-link router
    (that fried after 2 years) let me isolate LAN hosts but my current
    low-end Linksys (that I've used for 7+ years) does not.

    This uses DD-WRT, a firmware replacement to your router. Obviously this
    is drastic as you are replacing the code inside your router with a
    community-driven one. Also, DD-WRT doesn't support all routers. If
    your router supports VPN options on each individual router port then try
    that first.

    Probably the simplest is to configure the software firewall in each of
    your hosts to not allow any input connections (i.e., disable any sharing
    simply by not defining exception rules for them in the firewall). You
    can decide in the software firewall on a host whether you allow it to
    accept unsolicited inbound requests to share that host. You never
    identified your OS or which software firewall you may already have. For
    Windows Vista+, and rather than delve into the inbound rules of which
    there may be many, you could instead just disable sharing features.
    VanguardLH, Oct 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  3. Robert Crandal

    Char Jackson Guest

    To share the Internet connection, you need a router. Most consumer grade
    routers include WiFi these days, so just turn that feature off if you don't
    want to use it.

    To prevent filesharing among the 3 computers, just don't configure it.
    Char Jackson, Oct 30, 2013
  4. Robert Crandal

    Rambo Guest

    Char Jackson wrote, On 30/10/2013 02:34:
    You can also share a folder - limiting the use by a password.

    --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
    Rambo, Oct 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.