Speedtouch 190 for £25 - good deal?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mark Rogers, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Mark Rogers

    Mark Rogers Guest

    Mark Rogers, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Mark Rogers

    Jim Salter Guest

    Wow, that sounds pretty good. I'm already with voiptalk so an even better
    deal for me.

    I scoured the web for a similar priced product and can't find anything that
    approaches that price, at least not without some sort of contractual
    commitment.

    Jim Salter, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Mark Rogers

    sean Guest

    sean, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Mark Rogers

    Matt Smith Guest

    but do you get £10 of credit with the linksys? I don't think so. That works
    out to being around £21 more.

    Matt Smith, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Mark Rogers

    Sean Guest

    Try posting the right way around please.

    You dont get the £10, no, but at 1.14p per min (plus VAT?) i'd rather
    not bother.

    Sean, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Cheers, yes it does look like a good deal, has a LAN and a WAN port and says
    it does QOS which is something the PAP2 doesn't do. It says it bridges but
    it seems to hand out 192.168.x.x numbers to LAN clients so it must be a
    router....which is nice :)

    more info on http://www.speedtouch.com/prod190.htm

    Shane Carpenter, Aug 18, 2005
  7. But in the manual it says a DHCP client on the wan port, that seems madness
    to me ???

    Shane

    Shane Carpenter, Aug 18, 2005
  8. not really, that's how it gets an IP address from the cable modem or
    ADSL modem it expects to be plugged into.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Aha, of course, so does that mean it will act as a DHCP server on the LAN port or just forward on the IP address given to it from the ISP?

    Shane

    Shane Carpenter, Aug 19, 2005
  10. usually these things work in one of two ways :-

    a) adopt external IP address handed over by DHCP by an ethernet modem.
    Use DHCP to serve up IP addresses for LAN side clients.

    b) get internal IP address from router on WAN port, use DHCP to serve
    up internal IP addresses on a different subnet to clients on LAN side

    so yes they act as both DHCP server for LAN side and DHCP client for
    WAN connection.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Aug 19, 2005
  11. Mark Rogers