    I have XP home, 80GB, 256 Ram, 2.0 AMD. I am looking for anyway possible
    to speed up my PC and broadband connection. Any ideas? How do you "Clock" a
    PC?

    Paul Boyd, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Paul Boyd

    Wizard Guest

    Without more to go on Then I would say double your RAM.

    Wizard, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Paul Boyd

    derek / nul Guest

    What program/function do you want to speed up?

    derek / nul, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Paul Boyd

    Jeremy Guest

    If you mean overclocking your computer when you say "clock" a computer then
    you do that by the bios. What kind of motherboard do you have? make/model?
    I would say more ram would be the first place I would start at.

    Jeremy, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Paul Boyd

    MRe Guest

    It really depends on what application you want to speed up. First off, add
    more RAM, memory is cheap. I would add at the very least another 256 MB. If
    the program is a graphic program, put a faster video card in the machine.
    Look at what applications you have running in the background on your
    machine. Remove any un-needed applications. Look at your anti virus program.
    Do you have the program scanning ALL files? I find this to be overkill.
    Also, I find norton slows down certain applications. I add the program in
    question into the exclusion list, this greatly increased performance. Look
    in your event viewer, do you see any errors? There is really nothing which
    can be done to speed up your internet connection. If you are running a cable
    modem, the speed is an issue with your area. Cable is fast, as long as many
    other people are not online in your area.

    MRe, Nov 3, 2003
  6. 256MB s/b plenty for 'casual' use. I'd advise you to check what you have
    running in background. Check www.blackviper.com for advice on services
    you can disable. Check www.pacs-portal.co.uk for startup apps you can
    disable. Get & run Spybot S&D to eliminate adware/spyware.

    Do all of that and if all you're doing is email, Web browsing, word
    processing, etc. then it should run fine. If you're doing image/audio
    work then you might want more RAM. And as others have pointed out, RAM
    is cheap-if you're even *thinking* about doing image/audio work in the
    future then get more RAM. In fact unless you're in a real bind for money
    right now, get more RAM. Just don't expect it to cure your performance
    problem if you don't do the other stuff I mentioned above.

    BTW, even though *your* connection is broadband don't assume that the
    other end is too. If your problem is with only one site then the problem
    is apt to be with that site, not with your PC.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Paul Boyd

    Night_Seer Guest

    Try PC Pitstop:

    http://www.pcpitstop.com/

    It might help you see where your bottleneck is, or what needs tweaking.

    Night_Seer, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Paul Boyd

    Roy Guest

    Hi,

    I have a question about exactly how to do this. From the Norton menu,
    it looks like I go to "Auto-Protect", and change "Comprehensive File
    Scanning" to "SmartScan". Then I "Customize".

    For example, I want to speed up MS Word by deleting DOC from the list.
    But does this mean that Norton no longer scans DOCs that come as
    e-mail attachments?

    Thanks

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    Roy, Nov 3, 2003
  9. Paul Boyd

    Forest Guest

    Forest, Nov 4, 2003
  10. Paul Boyd

    Plato Guest

    If you're on cable get a ladder and cut the connections to the other 100
    folks on the same channel as you.

    Plato, Nov 4, 2003
  11. Paul Boyd

    Jeremy Guest

    Also remove all spyware, trojans and worms, that helps a lot.

    Jerry

    Jeremy, Nov 4, 2003