Speed, Broadcom 802.11g and Intel PRO/2200BG?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lisa, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Hello,

    Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!

    I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built in!
    I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel pro
    2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
    DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which is
    a year old I get a speed of 2200-2500 kbps whan next to the router and in
    the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400 kbps
    when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!

    I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease the
    same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has a
    B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
    is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
    and hope to hear from you!

    Lisa.

    Lisa, Sep 19, 2005

  2. Lisa

    Dave Guest

    take them both back! 802.11g sitting next to the router should be 54Mbps!
    if you are only getting 2500kbps thats horrible!

    Dave, Sep 19, 2005

  3. Lisa

    mac Guest

    Sorry, Maybe I did not explain myself right! I am talking about internet
    speed when checking that with online utilities such as CNET "bandwidth
    meter"! As for the 54Mbps, that I don't know and I honestly don't care about
    as I don't have a real network at home and I don't do much of file sharing
    if any!

    mac, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Lisa

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Lisa

    AndyG

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    Just curious if this issue was ever resolved? I too am experiencing the same problem with a new Acer TravelMate 2480 notebook I purchased using Broadcom's 802.11g built-in card.

    The problem appears to be specific to the download speed. On all of my tests the upload speed has been consistently around 700Kbs, which is at or above the advertised rate noted by my ISP. However, I'm still averaging under 500Kbs for my download speed ( which should be at or near 3Mbs ).

    I was told to try and make modifications to my D-Link 524 router. However, since two of my other pcs, which are connected via wireless adapters, are in fact seeing the correct download speed I would prefer leaving my router alone.

    Thanks,
    AndyG

    AndyG, Mar 13, 2007