    sure 100s of others do to. When is it enough? Must we have 3 or more versions
    of the same Dvd to get the latest extra features?
    Thanks

    Rclrk43, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Rclrk43

    Rich Clark Guest

    Well, yeah. And when HD discs hit the market you get to do it all again.

    This is nothing new, and it won't end. One day I suppose more and more
    people will rent their media on an on-demand streaming basis, and then new
    special features will be sold a la carte, but as long as we insist on
    collecting the physical media, yeah, what other way can we get new versions
    than to buy them?

    There are a handful of lifetime favorite movies I've owned in multiple VHS,
    Laserdisc, and DVD editions. It's my choice, I do it with open eyes, and
    nobody's holding a gun to my head. It's up to me whether I perceive
    sufficient value in the new version to buy the title again.

    You can always just rent the new version, or sell the old one and buy the
    new one.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Rclrk43

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Rclrk43, says...
    No, you don't have to have 3 versions. Buy the first one, enjoy the
    movie, and be happy. With the exception of the LOTR special editions, I
    have yet to see a 2nd "special" release that had enough in it to make me
    interested in buying it. You see, I buy the DVD to enjoy the movie.
    Generally speaking, extra commentaries, trailers, "making ofs", and
    deleted scenes don't interest me. I hardly ever watch them. So I enjoy
    my cheap "movie only" release, and watch the rest of the world act like
    somebody is putting a gun to their head when the deluxe set comes out.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Yeah--
    Who needs those fancy Warner (quote-fingers) "remasterings", when a
    one-disk bare-bones MGM "Singin' in the Rain" is good enough for anybody!

    Derek Janssen (remember, in some cases, it's called "studio penance" and
    "restitution")

    Derek Janssen, Dec 28, 2004
  5. And if you actually mentioned a few examples, your post wouldn't be so
    generic.

    However, keep in mind, the "Now with MOVIE TICKET enclosed!" reissue
    edition is but one of five types of Special Editions--
    The other four types have a full right to exist.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Some movies are good enough for improved versions, some are not. I play
    it by ear. Sometimes an improved version is desperataly needed and
    welcomed (like the anamorphic re-release of The Thing). But "remastered"
    versions were done all the time with music, so why shouldn't video be
    any different.

    I let the improvements and additional features tell me if it's worth
    buying in any case.

    Michael Rogers, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Rclrk43

    Justin Guest

    So, who's going to pickup the ultimate Fifth Element DVD?

    Justin, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Rclrk43

    G Johnston Guest

    One that comes to my mind is Starship Troopers. In the span of about
    a year or so:

    Original Release
    2 Disc Special Edition
    Superbit with DTS track

    G Johnston, Dec 29, 2004
  9. Rclrk43

    Jay G. Guest

    He mentioned two. Of course, in both of those examples, only *two* versions
    of the DVD have come out, so the "must we have 3 or more versions
    of the same DVD?" argument doesn't hold water.
    Fellowship of the Ring EE didn't have a right to exist?

    -Jay

    Jay G., Dec 29, 2004