    Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 21, 2012

  2. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Mate,

    I use AML reg cleaner - hang on, I'll find a URL... http://www.amlsoft.com/
    It's free but the latest version [4.23] has a small ad bar at the bottom. I
    was using version 4.21 before which didn't have the ads and otherwise seemed
    the same. It also has a 'temp file' cleaner function which I find useful.

    I don't use Spybot or Adaware anymore, instead I use SUPERantispyware. Oh,
    and Avast! It seems to be the lightest AV package, both on resources and the
    size of updates.

    I've noticed a distinct speed difference between sp2 level machines and sp3
    level, the latter being quite a bit slower on marginal machines. However MS
    only issue minimal patchs for sp2 level (essentially just the malicious
    software thingy each month or so).

    Good luck. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2012

  3. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Thanks for that Shaun. Have downladed the three you recommend and will give
    them a go.

    All the best
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 21, 2012
  4. Lodi

    Dave Doe Guest

    I wouldn't bother with a reg cleaner - may cause more problems than it's
    worth. But on that, I tend to manaully fix the registry with
    CrapCleaner (Ccleaner) and do little bits I'm sure of only. (In it's
    Registry option, I right-click each registry section and scan - and I
    uncheck everything and only check and fix those I'm sure of).

    I wouldn't bother with Spybot or AdAware - both old and a bit useless,
    IMO. Thesedays I prefer to use SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes
    AntiMalware.

    If you have (find) browser hi-jacking probs, HiJackThis is now FOSS and
    available on Sourceforge.

    However, you might find the Repair functions (as well as a scan) in
    SuperAntiSpyware get rid of most of any browser hijacking problems. It
    also has an excelent TCPIP stack reset funtion (for some reason, I find
    running a 'netsh int ip reset c:\tcp-reset.log' from a command prompt,
    doesn't always fix a hijacked IP/DNS stack).

    Dave Doe, Apr 21, 2012
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Speaking on behalf of the "old and a bit useless" brigade :) thanks for the
    advice. Have added Malwarebytes to my toolkit

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 21, 2012

  6. One of the most effective things in my toolbox is to run msconfig, go to
    the 'startup' tab and disable all the unnecessary software that really
    does NOT need to be running all the time. Winamp agent, HP this and
    that, OCD software, what have you --- every idiot seems to think they're
    entitled to put all kinds of crap into the autostart. When I slim all
    that stuff down to what's really needed people are usually amazed how
    much faster their computer boots and runs afterwards.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 21, 2012
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Thanks Peter. Will do :)

    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 21, 2012
  8. Lodi

    JohnO Guest

    Great advice. Along with, of course, going through control panel and
    removing everything you don't need.

    JohnO, Apr 23, 2012