    version for a 3.3.6 box - and if so, why both versions are offered!

    Many thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 31, 2010

  2. Chris Davies

    Alan Guest

    It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
    The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
    under "Voice > Regional settings".

    If it's not broken .......

    BTW
    There is a Cisco/Linksys (Sipura) forum at Voxilla.com

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 31, 2010

  3. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Mmmm, uh oh. Thanks for that heads-up.

    Well, IMO it is broken - don't you find the echo on the POTS line pretty
    unpleasant? I do (and my wife /detests/ it).

    Ahh!

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 31, 2010
  4. Chris Davies

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    Your line impedance setting predominantly affects how much echo
    the far end hears when talking to you. It also affects the level
    of sidetone, which is your voice coming back non-delayed. You
    always want some sidetone; it's very disconcerting not to have
    any, it's like talking into complete emptiness. As for how much
    "some" is: quite a lot, usually in the range -6 dB to -10 dB.

    When I say "non-delayed", that really applies to an analogue phone.
    A DECT handset introduces delays both ways between itself and the
    hybrid, so it might sound like echo, I suppose.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Aug 31, 2010