    I've never tested the SPA-3102 as a router. Has anyone tested it in
    the UK (PPoA) and found it to work reliably? This would be operating
    with a VM supplied cable router.

    Brian A, Oct 22, 2007

  2. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    PPPoA has nothing to do with cable, so forget about it. It should just work.

    alexd, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I wondered about that. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Brian A, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Brian A

    Woody Guest

    Why use the 3102 as a router if the friend already has one supplied by
    VM? Just stick it on an unused port.

    However do beware of one problem with VOIP - if the router is using NAT
    then you will almost certainly need multiple port fowarding. I had a
    Belkin wireless router which would only allow one port to be forwarded
    to any one given IP address downstream and I just could not get VOIP to
    work. Switched it with a Netgear and all worked/works perfectly.

    Woody, Oct 23, 2007
  5. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    Woody presented the following explanation :
    I suspect he means "supplied cable modem"
    This should be completely unecessary with most if not all VoIP
    providers.
    I have no ports forwarded whatsoever & have multiple
    providers/devices/pbx behind my router

    Jono, Oct 23, 2007
  6. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    You are correct. I see the mistake I made. Yes, he has no router just
    a cable modem.
    Presumably though, if this was an ADSL situation, then there would be
    problems using it as a router unless, possibly, on AOL, where,
    certainly at one time, if not now, I do believe they used PPoE.
    I have set up an SPA-3102 on VOIP, not my own, but I never bothered
    with the router part. In the case of someone without a router, who
    only wants to run one computer, it is an ideal product to operate with
    a cable modem but not, generally, I would assume with the vast
    majority of UK ADSL ISPs who use PPoA. Why Linksys don't make it
    compatible with PPoA I can't imagine. It seems to be typical US
    parochialism.

    Brian A, Oct 23, 2007
  7. Brian A

    Woody Guest

    Sorry to argue Jono, but I'm only speaking from experience.

    I signed up with Sipgate (no credit) and downloaded the free
    ready-customised XLite softfone. It would work with incoming calls but
    no way outgoing (to their free test number or another Sipgate user.)
    Interminttently I spent about a month trying to get it to go with no
    joy. Then I bought the SPA2000 - and had <exactly> the same problems. It
    wouldn't work with voip.co.uk either, as wouldn't a non-customised
    XLite. Even Sipgate and voip helplines were unable to come up with a
    solution.

    I picked up a Netgear at the right price and had the same problem. I
    then set the router to fixed internal addresses (still using DHCP from
    the cable modem,) put on the port forwarding, and behold it worked and
    still does.

    I am also on VM (well, ntlworld actually.)

    Woody, Oct 23, 2007
  8. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking Woody wrote :
    I do not dispute that your Belkin device couldn't be configured
    suitably, nor would I disagree that port forwarding used to always be
    necessary, However, with a decent router & service provider, you
    should'nt need to these days.
    I have a Linksys WRT54G & have no ports forwarded anymore. In fact,
    IIRC, I /solved/ some issues when I disabled port forwarding a couple
    of years ago.
    ex-BY for me.

    Jono, Oct 23, 2007
  9. Brian A

    acierinox Guest

    my configuration to the one in question is almost identical

    VM - cable modem - linksys 2102 voip/router - single pc

    Line 1: Voxalot - 2 VSP - Voipcheapcom for outgoing and Orbtalk for
    incoming
    Line 2: Voxalot only - so I can natter with friends & family who also
    have a Voxalot account, and leave Line 1 free for business calls!

    acierinox, Oct 26, 2007
  10. Brian A

    alexd Guest

    The Linksys SPA-3102 doesn't have an ATM interface, so PPPoA would be of no
    use whatsoever.

    alexd, Oct 26, 2007
  11. Brian A

    TheFug Guest

    Woody schreef:
    I guess that's why the SPA3102 worked for me instantly, because i
    connected the SPA on a LAN port of my router, only did set the LINE1
    voice menu, en left DHCP on router still running, guess that QoS is not
    running, so this would be a other case, if i had a ADSL modem only
    device, > seperate switch > SPA3102 on switch > router on
    SPA3102....with DHCP switch on, on SPA and swited off on router ?

    TheFug, Oct 27, 2007