SPA-3000 PSTN doesn't ring

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Turandot, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Turandot

    Turandot Guest

    I bought a SPA-3000, setup line1 with voipstunt, connected a Philips
    cordless phone to the phone port, linked the line port to BT socket. When I
    call my BT number, the phone doesn't ring. I used the spa-3000 monitor
    software found on the net and it showed line1 is registered, PSTN not
    registered, voltage 51V.

    VoIP-To-PSTN Gateway Setup
    VoIP-To-PSTN Gateway Enable: yes
    VoIP Caller Auth Method: none
    VoIP PIN Max Retry: 3
    One Stage Dialing: yeso
    Line 1 VoIP Caller DP: 1
    VoIP Caller Default DP: 1
    Line 1 Fallback DP: none

    PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup
    PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Enable: yes
    PSTN Caller Auth Method: none
    PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: yes

    FXO Timer Values (sec)
    VoIP Answer Delay: 0
    VoIP PIN Digit Timeout: 10
    PSTN Answer Delay: 16
    PSTN PIN Digit Timeout: 10
    PSTN-To-VoIP Call Max Dur: 0
    PSTN Ring Thru Delay:1
    VoIP-To-PSTN Call Max Dur:0
    PSTN Ring Thru CWT Delay: 3
    VoIP DLG Refresh Intvl: 0
    PSTN Ring Timeout: 5
    PSTN Dialing Delay: 1
    PSTN Dial Digit Len: .1/.1

    I increased the Line-In-Use Voltage to 70, same results. I tried to setup
    PSTN as sipgate, PSTN showed registered, but still no ring when I call the
    BT no. When I setup Line1 as my sipgate no., the phone rings when I call the
    sipgate no. Where else should I look? Is the ATA faulty? Thx.

    Turandot, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Turandot

    PhilT Guest

    Does it ring if you take the power off the SPA-3000 so the BT line
    defaults straight through ? Do you get BT dial tone on the phone ?

    Where did you get the cable to connect to the BT socket ?

    Phil

    PhilT, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Turandot

    Turandot Guest

    Yes, when the power is down, BT line rings and I get BT dial tone. When the
    power is on, no BT dial tone, I guess this is due to dial plan. Just
    couldn't understand why BT line is not ringing.
    I had a 2 pin RJ11 cable and I connected it to the BT socket via an ADSL
    micro filter.

    Turandot, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Turandot

    PhilT Guest

    so the wiring is OK.
    pass. There is usually a delay in it ringing as it buffers CLI. You
    don't get a BT dial tone when its powered up and registered as the dial
    plan just places the call on the PSTN gateway gw0 in the ATA.

    The setup wizard at http://voxilla.com/spa3kconfig.php is handy. I
    can't recall if you explicitly have to enable the PSTN line, on the
    "PSTN line" tab I have it set to enable at the top.

    Phil

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Turandot

    Ian Pawson Guest

    I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
    ringing capacitor in it?

    Ian Pawson, Sep 1, 2006
  6. Turandot

    PhilT Guest

    it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this suggest that angle is
    covered ?

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 1, 2006
  7. Turandot

    Ian Pawson Guest

    No it does not as you are then using the capacitor in your BT master
    socket to provide the ringing.

    The way to prove it is if you have a spare adsl filter as these have a
    capacitor in them. Just put this between the ata and the phone.
    When I ordered my 3000 I forgot to order a lead at the same time

    Ian Pawson, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Turandot

    Turandot Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I borrowed a friend's new spa3000(still in
    box) and it works. I didn't change anything except setting up line1 with
    voipstunt. I tried both 2pin & 4pin RJ11 cable, it made no difference. I
    will factory reset my spa see how it goes.

    Turandot, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Turandot

    PhilT Guest

    however the phone and connection to the ATA is the same in both cases,
    so for your idea to work the ATA would have to have a connection from
    the 3rd wire on the PSTN port pass through to the same on the phone
    output, as well as an incoming BT-RJ11 cable correctly configured to
    get the ring signal to the right place.

    Personally I doubt this happens, as the international RJ11 PSTN
    convention is to simply use the centre two connectors for the line.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 2, 2006
  10. Turandot

    Ivor Jones Guest

    There is no such thing as an international convention for RJ11
    connectors..! What you are referring to is purely a US convention; it
    doesn't necessarily apply elsewhere, although it may do. Certainly
    BT<>RJ11 cables may be wired any which way, depending purely on the
    manufacturer's whim..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 2, 2006
  11. Turandot

    PhilT Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    true enough, though as the RJ11 is a US (Bell) standard anyone folowing
    standard RJ11 practice would have the line on the centre two.
    agreed. I would venture to suggest that the Linksys/Sipura kit (if not
    all VoIP kit) follows US practice and is two wire only on the centre
    connectors.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 2, 2006
  12. Turandot

    Tim Guest

    That is correct.

    Quite a lot of UK equipment uses RJ11's with the same pinout as a BT
    plug though. That is line on pins 2 and 5. Lots of DECT phones are
    like this.

    Almost all complaints of `my linksys ATA is faulty` turn out to be an
    incorrectly wired RJ11 to BT adaptor, or one without a ring capacitor.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 5, 2006