SPA-3000 - Connecting to simulated PSTN line

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Brian A, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I want to use the PSTN connection on my SPA-3000 to connect to a '
    door phone' (just a standard phone).
    I have simulated the line by a 50V d.c. supply connected via a 1k Ohm
    resistor - I have used this rechnique successfully before to link
    phones.
    I have tried to connect to the line, in the dial plan, by:-
    <#00,:><:mad:gw0>
    and also by
    <#00,:>xx.<:mad:gw0>
    Neither work.
    I have enabled the line under 'PSTN Line'.
    All I want to do is to be able to dial #00 and for the house phones to
    connect to a phone on the simullated PSTN connection.
    Is it not responding because the ATA requires a dial tone or are there
    some other settings I need to change?
    Suggestions please!
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Brian A

    Tim Bray Guest

    I don't think you need to do this bit.

    If the door phone behaves just like a normal phone, then you need to
    connect to the phone side of the SPA-3000.

    If you wanted to connect other phones too, then you need an SPA-2002.
    This has two phone ports.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I am not sure that you have understood my question. On the SPA-3000
    there is a socket intended for PSTN. That means that will connect to a
    'powered' line. If I had a BT line there, for example, I would be able
    to connect to it from my other phones dependent on the settings of the
    ATA. I simply want to 'dial in' to a phone on that line. I have a
    locally powered line and a phone connected on that port. All I need
    to do is make the phones on the voip side connect with that phone in
    the same way as they would if it was a standard landline. The ability
    to connect to that port is a standard operation of the SPA-3000. My
    question relates to what settings or changes I should make to get this
    up and running.
    My dial plan for that connection is <#00,:><:mad:gw0> and I have nabled
    the line. Now, as it isn't working, but giving an unobtainable tone,
    what other changes should I make - that is the question. For example,
    does the ATA need a dial tone to operate.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 11, 2006
  4. I would try a scheme which doesn't include # or * to start
    with, just to rule out those characters as being the problem.
    I would have a look at the web interface "info" tab,
    PSTN Line Status. That should tell you what state the
    SPA-3000 thinks the line is in.

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Brian A

    Chris Guest

    Brian, I found it impossible to get the SPA-3000 to select a gateway
    using #0 as the code. It works with every other digit apart from zero.
    Try
    <#9,:>x.<:mad:gw0>
    and see if that works. It seems to be an undocumented feature that zero
    cannot be used for gateway access.

    Chris, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Brian A

    Mark Adamson Guest

    I have #0 working to give me a gateway on my SPA3000

    Mark Adamson, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Brian A

    Chris Guest

    Which gateway does it work with?

    Chris, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Brian A

    Mark Adamson Guest

    It actually goes to my main registered gateway, so maybe that is why it
    works?, ie

    Normal calls go via gw1

    Mark Adamson, Jan 13, 2006