Sounds of pending HDD failure

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Sometimes it is quiet as normal, or it could growl or the clicking sound.

    I isolated it to the HDD, by using a pencil to stop the CPU fan.

    I tried the paperclip trick. Only made some smoke. (j/k)

    I have already copied My Documents, and any other critcal files to CD.

    I'll keep it running for a while to see what other sounds it makes, in the
    troes of death.

    A shame tho, this Western Digital is less than a year old. problem is, I bought
    it unboxed, thinking it was a good deal.

    Thankfully I bought that Gateway laptop.

    Now the clicking is almost quiet. It's just a matter of time.

    Sounds normally quiet now. HDD is in a rack-mount, that has a fan, but the
    clicking is too slow to be a tiny fan. It sounds more like the arm is striking
    a stop.

    When it does die, I will dissect the HDD, to inspect it.

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 22, 2003

  2. caveat lector - reader beware

    bmoag Guest

    My last hard drive failure happened without any strange noises. Just random
    freeze ups until finally it would not spin at all.

    bmoag, Oct 23, 2003

  3. From: "bmoag"
    I've had the same problems. This one is going to die slow. It has been sounding
    normal for the last 2-3 hours.

    I had a customer, whose complaint was freeze ups. Sure enough after 15 minutes,
    the mouse stopped responding. She had no AV, FW, or SpyBot S&D. I managed,
    after three attempts, to get SpyBotS&D downloaded. Ran it to show her the
    adware/spyware on her Celeron/Win98 system. After that it never locked up,
    while clearing clutter, or during a partial (30%) defrag. I spent the remainder
    of the time, working a printer (Epson777) driver problem.

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 23, 2003
  4. caveat lector - reader beware

    Frederick Guest

    If I remeber correctly that western digital has a three year warrenty, I
    think...

    Frederick, Oct 27, 2003
  5. caveat lector - reader beware

    Thor Guest

    only on the enterprise line and and SE drives. The rest have 1 year
    warranties.

    Thor, Oct 27, 2003
  6. caveat lector - reader beware

    Plato Guest

    Just went to one year.

    Plato, Oct 28, 2003
  7. caveat lector - reader beware

    Dean-MN Guest

    I picked up a 120GB JB (Special Edition) yesterday with the expectation of a
    1-year warranty but noticed a notation on the package of 3-year warranty.
    WD Web site also advertises a 3-year warranty http://tinyurl.com/tapa. The
    serial number checks out as warranty exp. date of 10/23/2006. What a
    pleasant surprise.
    Dean

    Dean-MN, Nov 2, 2003