    weird stuff. Electronic trash? Bad sound card? Anyone have any ideas.
    I made a sound file wma of the noise. Will post it somewhere if anyone
    has any ideas.

    joevan, Jun 28, 2010

  2. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    These sounds are present while the laptop is idle? Most laptops don't
    have the quietest sound devices. I've always attributed it to the
    compactness of the electronics. The noise floor in this Asus M6NE a once
    fairly expensive unit is around -20 db. That's pretty noisy. The M-Audio
    Delta 44 in my desktop is much quieter at around -60 db.

    Meat Plow, Jun 28, 2010

  3. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    Does that mean that you hear the sound thru' the headphones, or does
    that mean that you hear the sound not thru' the headphones but instead
    'thru the air' around the box (regardless of whether headphones are
    plugged in or not)?

    Strange sounds that come thru the air can come from such as your hard
    drive - a bad sign.

    If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
    integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
    should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

    Mike Easter, Jun 28, 2010
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Yes I can hear it through the headphones and or the speaker system.
    The laptop is silent with neither headphones or speakers plugged it.
    I don't think the sounds are through the air but through the circuits.
    You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
    sound is still there.

    joevan, Jun 28, 2010
  5. joevan

    Aardvark Guest

    Does the word 'tinnitus' ring any bells?

    :)

    Aardvark, Jun 28, 2010
  6. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    No, that's not what I mean.

    When I'm talking about disabling the device, I'm talking about with the OS.

    Your newsreader is Agent, so that means you are Win. I'll use XP as an
    example.

    Start/CP/System/Hardware tab/ Devuce manager button/ View devices by
    type/ find the sound device (if there is a bunch of stuff in sound,
    video, and game controllers you may have to guess and investigate a
    little to determine which one should be considered the 'device' for the
    sound) / then R click that device and disable it.

    If that makes the noise go away, it shows that the noise is actually
    coming from the sound 'section'. The problem is that it isn't really
    easy to fix/replace parts on LTs.

    Mike Easter, Jun 28, 2010
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Thanks for the information. I am back to my big case desktop w/ xp and
    the sound is great.
    The laptop is a Toshiba that I just got about a month ago. It has
    win7. It is great except for the sound thing. I will look around for
    sound stuff just in case it is something basic that I can do.

    joevan, Jun 28, 2010
  8. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I guess I will go back to listening to my good music on the old
    workbox xp machine. I knew there were setbacks to laptops but
    listening to water gurgling while listening to Pavarotti is a bit
    much. Or maybe I will plug in my old Yamaha hi fi system and listen
    with my big old speakers that I have had for about 30 years or so.

    joevan, Jun 28, 2010
  9. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    If it is b0rken new hardware, it should be under warranty.

    Mike Easter, Jun 28, 2010
  10. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Thanks, I found the problem. I had enhancements checked, after playing
    with them I found what I was looking for. Thanks a million

    joevan, Jun 28, 2010
  11. <LOL!> Twice! Once as the answer to the problem, and once more for the
    "ring any bells" phrase.

    Mine is more like a high-pitched tone .. maybe 4KHz .. all the time.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 28, 2010
  12. joevan

    richard Guest

    Plug the speakers into the proper jack. The only noise made by an
    electronic computer is the noise from the hard drives. Sounds from the
    speaker means something ain't right in the audio department.

    What do you hear without speakers or headphones?

    richard, Jun 29, 2010
  13. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    Yes, really. There's a normal speaker output *and* a headphone output on my
    sound card. If I plug ear buds into the speaker output, I blow out my ear
    drums when there's sound coming out and get white noise otherwise.
    something that could easily be called like water.

    In addition pluging the wrong plug into the sound card is by *far* the
    most common problem people have with their sound card.

    You *really* don't know shit do you?

    chuckcar, Jun 29, 2010
  14. joevan

    richard Guest

    Bless you kind sir for that cheap shot at evan.

    richard, Jun 29, 2010
  15. joevan

    joevan Guest

    You are so right there. I think chucktard and rTS are from the same
    mold.
    And no one seems to be able to leave this thread alone. I thanked Mike
    Eater for giving me an idea. As I said it was some of the checked
    enhancements under the realtek high tec audio controller. I unchecked
    them and all is still well. No more strange noises.

    joevan, Jun 29, 2010
  16. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    LOL