sounds and audio devices - playback greyed out

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NJ, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. NJ

    NJ Guest

    On a users laptop (IBM Thinkpad) the playback button under Sounds and
    Audio Devices - sounds - program events is greyed out.

    They are able to hear sounds. I can play a sound file in Media Player,
    but no sound otherwise. Also, in Shockwave they
    don't hear any sound when playing a .swf file.

    Also, sounds do not play for system events, Windows Start, New mail,
    etc...

    I already tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the sound drivers, no
    dice.

    The following was also suggested:

    expanding and restoring the original Microsoft ACM Audio Filter files
    (which were probably overwritten by some installation) :

    start/run - type:
    expand G:\i386\msacm32.dr_ c:\windows\system32\msacm32.drv

    start/run - type:
    expand G:\i386\msacm32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\msacm32.dll

    I tried that, didn't work either.

    I am open to suggestions

    Thank you,
    Neal

    NJ, Aug 29, 2005

  2. NJ

    NJ Guest

    Okay,

    I just tried the following:

    Pretty much everything under "Where did my sounds go?" on the following
    site:

    I tried removing Windows Media Player and re-installing.

    I installed all the audio codecs off of Microsoft

    I installed another media player (WINAMP)

    I can now play WAV files (which wouldn't work before), but system event
    sounds still do not play.

    The "play" button is still greyed out under "sounds and audio devices"
    on the Control Panel.

    NJ, Aug 29, 2005