Sound System

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XhArD, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    And now for something completely different.

    [​IMG]

    Nah, not really, just been watching a few too many episodes of Monty Pythons Flying Circus recently :p Got all 4 seasons, lol.

    The reason I'm reviving this dead thread is that I have made a new addition to my sound system of sorts. In this case though, it's just a new pair of headphones. After having 3 pairs of headphones die in 4 months due to faulty cords, I decided to give wireless audio a try.
    The result was Sennheiser R 110 RF Headphones.

    Being Sennheiser, I expect nothing but the highest quality, and from my experiences with these headphones so far, I'm gonna get it. The headset is unbelieveably comfortable, very high quality sound, battery life is good so far, and the 100 metre range is useful for house-wandering. Also, because we get a lot of interference in our area, the three channels may be useful too. The only drawback so far with this set is that the transmitter is not a cradle; it does not recharge the batteries when not in use. This doesn't overly concern me, as I have a charger next to my computer anyway, so I'll just leave it charging when i'm done for the night.

    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/09917

    The lack of the recharging cradle does not really surprise me; these are, after all, the cheapest RF headphones Sennheiser produces. At $180AUD, I think they were worth it, but I am an Audiophile. Anyone who doesn't value sound quality to such a degree would probably think these are a waste of money.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    XhArD, Mar 26, 2006

  2. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've been pretty much glued to BBC the past few weeks myself. Every once in a while I crave British television. :)

    The Modfather, Mar 26, 2006

  3. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    lol, I just happened to find all 4 sesons of the flying circus on torrent, took me 9GB of bandwidth to get them all. Went over our 20GB bandwidth limit last month from downloading 2 seasons of it, other 2 seasons ate 4GB of this months bandwidth in 2 days :S

    XhArD, Mar 27, 2006
  4. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i was going to get that torrent, but once i noticed the 9GB and then i looked at my free HDD space, i freaked out...

    You got that audiophile spot on, i would neva spend 180 bucks on a pair of wireless headphones, infact i would never buy wireless Headphones.

    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
    unholy, Mar 27, 2006
  5. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Thats because of your damn signal-less house :p Wires for you, no wires for me.

    And by the way Unholy, you didn't noticed "that torrent", because they were uploaded as 4 separate torrents, one per season. No trying to fit in now, it won't work :p

    XhArD, Mar 27, 2006
  6. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    It must suck to have a limit on how much bandwidth you can use. If I check my widget that shows what I've up/downloaded it's usually in and around the 100gb per month range, if not more. That'd actually be a pretty slow month. What do they do to you if you go over that limit, charge you more?

    I don't like wireless headphones either, unless it's for stuff like gaming or whatever, for serious audiophile listening I'd rather have wired headphones of a nicer quality, a set of Senheiser's or Stax electrostatics.

    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  7. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    These headphones ARE the higher quality headphones. The reason I wanted wireless was because the *cord* is what killed my last 3 pairs of headphones. These match the performance of my last pair, a pretty good set of AVLabs ones. If I didn't already have some l33t sound power in my bedroom, then yeah, I'd go for some super high quality wired ones too. But after having lots of problems with cords dying on me, I thought I'd try some Sennheiser wireless ones.

    The bandwidth thing is annoying, yeah, we get our net throttled back to 64k speed if we go over the limit. Doesn't actually cost us money, just speed.

    XhArD, Mar 27, 2006
  8. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Maybe they're better quality than what Unholy's using but wireless headphones can't by their very nature be as good as wired headphones. A good pair of Stax Electrostatic headphones will blow any wireless set out of the water with plenty of room to spare. Considering a pair of 'em from the 1960's can't even be found for under $1000 that's not exactly surprizing is it? If you're having cord problems, might I suggest you stop tugging your cord? <Smirk> You could go blind, er, deaf? :)

    Anywho, that sucks about the bandwidth thing, I wouldn't put up with that, but, what do you pay a month and for what speed?

    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  9. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    $49.95 a month for 1.5 megabit.

    XhArD, Mar 28, 2006
  10. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's a ripoff I'm afraid. I think our basic starter Comcast package (Cable) is about that price ($29 a month for the first 3 months though) and it's more like 4gb. I have the business plan which is $79 a month for 10mb. There aren't any bandwidth caps though.

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  11. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    cough cough US conversions, Cough Cough telstra's a phat ass ho.

    i pay 60 bucks a month, for 82Gb downloads, at 1.5mB ADSL :p Static Ip and All :)

    By the way x, i saw one of the torrents and i looked at the size, and when i saw the others i was like, stuff that i dont have the room :|

    Also i prefer corded Headphones, because they are alot cheaper, not to mention if u really needed to stop running over ur cord, get the Flexi Plastic Spring cable stuff... its like a coil of plastic rings :)

    unholy, Mar 28, 2006
  12. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Not running over the cables. They just die. They never go under my chair, just because of the position of my computer/desk thing, The cord just dies. And as far as I can tell, Modfather was including the conversion; $29 a month USD would be what, $40-$50 here? About the same, but Cable, so faster.

    XhArD, Mar 28, 2006
  13. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    not to mention telstra wouldn't allow us to have cable because its too good for us... GRRR.. the New dslams only just starting to come out.

    unholy, Mar 28, 2006
  14. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Move to Philly, I'll get ya hooked up with some uber fast internet connections, great games, proper digital cable (800+ channels) and you can get yourselves TiVo's and be in heaven. :)

    Only drawback is the cost, lets see...

    Business cable 10Mb down 2Mb up + Digital basic cable = $129 mo.
    Tivo = $50 with the mail in rebate they've got now for a 40hr unit
    TiVo service = $10 a mo or $200 for lifetime (I got that, works for me)
    HDTV with surround sound system = $25,000-$150,000
    Moving to Philly = $5,000 air fare & expenses
    House in my area = $250,000
    Furniature = $500 - $500,000 (milk crates or top of the line, your choice)
    Electric Bill $80 mo
    Gas Bill $40-100 a mo (summer/winter)
    Taxes $800 - 2500 a year

    You can afford it, right?

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  15. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Sure, I'll just walk back over here to my 9-hour-a-week job. I'm sure about $80 a week would cover it. :p

    XhArD, Mar 29, 2006
  16. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well you know, you could get a better job, you know, somce decent 40hr a week high paying job or something. Ever considered brain surgery?

    The Modfather, Mar 29, 2006
  17. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Brain Surgery pays less then 10 grand a year. we need 40 grand a minute to live like u do modfather.. How do u do it?

    unholy, Mar 29, 2006
  18. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm on disability, about $600 a month. :)

    How do I do it? Simple enough, I work my ass off with other things, building websites, fixing computers, building computers, helping people get mortgages and refinancing, etc etc... But the disability pays for my mortgage and home insurance.

    There's also the fact that I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. :)

    The Modfather, Mar 29, 2006
  19. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    u have eyeballs and ur in debt? i swear they could sell them for cash and get u out of debt, u should try selling one, see how much u can get, maybe put it on AH :)

    unholy, Mar 30, 2006
  20. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Put it on what? What's AH? Something like EBay?

    Sorry, my eyeballs are VERY valuable to me, I wouldn't sell even one of them for under $500,000,000,000,000

    (or roughly the national debt give or take a few trillion). I'd want to be able to own my own very large world power.

    The Modfather, Mar 30, 2006