    I recall some time ago reading that this was not upgradeable.

    Will I be able to replace or upgrade HP's 'on-board' if necessary?

    Richard

    reg, Jan 8, 2004

  2. reg

    Jon Danniken Guest

    If it has a free PCI slot (or ISA for that matter), yes.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jan 8, 2004

  3. reg

    Ric Guest

    if it's got a spare PCI slot, then it's replaceable. you just disable to
    onboard sound in bios...

    ric

    Ric, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Not upgradeable but possibly replaceable. If it can be disabled,
    probably in the BIOS, then you can 'replace' it with your own sound card.

    BTW, some of the onboard sound systems are quite good these days.
    Probably not on an older system like this, but it might be worth
    checking out.

    Onboard sound doesn't define quality-you could theoretically take the
    best sound card on the market & build it into a mobo, at which point it
    would become onboard sound-and yet it would still be the best sound
    available.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Boot the computer and hit delete (or whatever key HP uses) to get into BIOS
    and see if it's possible to turn off onboard sound. Sometimes if you have
    an aftermarket sound card and onboard sound is enabled, there are problems.
    I haven't had any myself, but I've heard of them. I don't know why you
    couldn't add a Turtle Beach or SoundBlaster card for sound.

    --
    Big Daddy Ruel Smith

    My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
    4:12pm up 32 days 0:58, 3 users, load average: 0.49, 0.33, 0.20

    My Windows XP machine uptime:
    Something less...

    Ruel Smith (Big Daddy), Jan 8, 2004
  6. 1000ghz? Like 1 Terrahertz? Boy that's fast........

    George A Hamilton, Jan 9, 2004
  7. reg

    Plato Guest

    I agree Calvin, tho I'd take umbridge regarding your "old PC" comment as
    I'm writing this on a P400 [grin]. Anyway, yes the quality of onboard
    sound varies greatly. For example, if you go with a quality motherboard
    like ASUS or AOPEN with onboard sound even a computer tech may be
    perfectly happy with the sound chipset they use.

    The motherboard CD makes it easy to install/reinstall the drivers, and
    if you lose the motherboard CD, one can easily find the drivers for the
    Yamaha or other "card" that's on the mobo. On the other hand, if you're
    using a PCchips/Jetway motherboard you're likely to find driver
    installations a hassle if the system is older.

    Plato, Jan 9, 2004
  8. reg

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Honestly, the only onboard sound I've /ever/ found acceptable is the
    chipset on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe. 6 channel, nVidida SoundStorm enabled,
    all sounds fantastic. This isn't even true of all nForce2 boards though,
    as my brother's Chaintech nForce2 has a different chipset for sound that is
    only 4 channel, no SoundStorm, and sounds pretty bad compared to my
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz (which replaced the onboard sound in that machine).

    Even the older Asus and Epox boards I've owned (from Slot 1 through
    SocketA) have relatively crappy sound compared to a decent $35 sound card.
    For someone who just hears windows noises, the sound is definitely
    adaquate, but for someone who listens to a lot of music and plays a lot of
    games, I think something like a Santa Cruz for $40 from newegg.com is
    probably the best $40 they could spend.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 9, 2004
  9. reg

    jeffc Guest

    HP is somewhat known for proprietary components, but these days it's very
    common for motherboards to have an audio chip built in, or "on board", so
    it's not an HP thing per se. If it has free slots, you can add your own
    video card and disable on board audio for all contemporary motherboards I've
    seen.

    jeffc, Jan 9, 2004
  10. reg

    jeffc Guest

    To be clear, you are not replacing it, but overriding it.

    jeffc, Jan 9, 2004
  11. To Plato: 'old PC' was referring to when it was probably manufactured,
    not to obsolesence. At work I use a 1GHz PIII. At home I use a 400MHz
    PII although I'm in the process of setting up a 1.8GHz P4.

    To Demon: I agree about the general quality of onboard sound-but it's
    that one exception (and any that I might *not* know about) that
    prevented me from agreeing that all onboard sound was crappy. And I
    believe that the board you cite is fairly new, like within the past
    year, isn't it? (Won't swear to that as I can't find anything stating
    when they started manufacturing it, but a quick search didn't turn up
    any references to it earlier than 2003.)

    Since a 1GHz PIII was likely manufactured earlier than that I assume
    that it has crappy sound-but it's only an assumption so my advice was to
    check.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 9, 2004
  12. reg

    George Ruch Guest

    Let's see... Optically coupled logic, near infrared clock frequency...
    Where'd you get this beast, anyway? <G,d &r>

    | George Ruch |
    | "Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?" |

    George Ruch, Jan 10, 2004
  13. reg

    Wizard Guest

    Unless the offer is FREE then the smart thing to do is decline the
    offer.

    Wizard, Jan 10, 2004