    sound card here, when there is also an on board card? What sort of card
    should I get as the machine is old and I don't want to get anything it can't
    cope with!

    Steve, May 28, 2005

  2. PCI is not onboard.
    If you "are" talking about your onboard circuit, check in BIOS to see if
    AC97 is turned on, you may need to remove and reinstall your AC97 drivers.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 28, 2005

  3. Steve

    7 Guest

    You could try booting up with liveCD like knoppix, mepis and DSL and
    see if the sound is auto detected and working...
    If it is working with a liveCD, then you can narrow the problem to
    windope software / drivers.

    7, May 28, 2005
  4. Steve

    FML Guest

    Steve spewed forth...
    You will need to go into your BIOS and disable "on-board" sound.
    This will allow you to use a PCI card.
    As far as what type of card, it really depends on what you want to do with
    it. If you want something basic and don't want to spend a lot of money, you
    can get a functional sound card for less than $10 (US).

    FML, May 28, 2005
  5. Steve

    Buffalo Guest

    Try here to possibly get your old sound working:
    http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/support\soundcards/sc_audiopci.html

    maybe here:
    http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/support\soundcards/sc_sbpci64v.html

    Buffalo

    Buffalo, May 28, 2005
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Well the sound output and mic input are straight off the motherboard so
    unless I change that I can't fix it other than install brand new PCI card

    Steve, May 28, 2005
  7. Steve

    Plato Guest

    So why are you still using nortons as you know darn well you have a
    sound card in the pc?

    Plato, May 29, 2005
  8. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Well obviously as Norton detected it before and does not now the card is
    faulty - I don't see what your point is.

    Steve, Jun 5, 2005
  9. Steve

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Jun 5, 2005
  10. Steve

    Plato Guest

    Norton cant detect if you have ANY sound card installed. All it can do
    is tell you what it finds in windows device manager. Again, read below.
    YOU HAVE A SOUND CARD IN THE PC.
    The norton message said no sound card present which is INCORRECT.

    Plato, Jun 6, 2005