    four pin connector is Aux In; when I connect the internal analogue
    CD pass-through cable between it and the CDRW drive, I don't get any
    sound when I play audio CDs. How do I fix this?

    A. J. Moss, Nov 11, 2004

  2. A. J. Moss

    Conor Guest

    Tick the box to enable it in the Sound options in Control Panel.

    Conor, Nov 11, 2004

  3. You don't need to if you're running XP or 2000. Go into the device manager,
    select your CD-RW and tick the "enable digital CD audio" box. CD audio then
    gets sent over the IDE cable, so you don't need the little 4-pin one.

    DrB

    Dr Bombcrater, Nov 12, 2004
  4. A. J. Moss

    Lazarus Guest

    from what i have read this results in lower quality sound as the sound is
    resampled whereas with the cable its direct....that may not be exactly
    correct but its something along those lines!

    Lazarus, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Digital transfers usually sound better because the DACs in the sound card
    are better than the ones in almost all CD drives.

    DrB

    Dr Bombcrater, Nov 12, 2004
  6. A. J. Moss

    Alex Fraser Guest

    With modern sound cards, the reverse may be true. The sound card may
    digitise the input (the output of the CD drive's DAC) and perform mixing
    digitally, before converting back to analogue for the output. The biggest
    problem with this as far as resultant sound quality goes is more likely to
    be the quality of the ADC than the fact it has been resampled. Older sound
    cards used (or seemed to use) analogue mixing, so there was no resampling.

    Using digital transfer, the sound may still be resampled, digitally. So long
    as it is resampled to a higher rate (and it's not likely to be a lower
    rate), there is no problem.
    Relatively speaking, DACs are quite straightforward. I wouldn't expect much
    difference. Digital transfer usually causes the CD to spin at high speed,
    which may not be desirable.

    Personally, I just rip and encode CDs I buy, then put the original away; in
    pristine condition just in case I need to rip it again (I don't bother to
    back the files up.)

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Nov 13, 2004