SOS from my 60yr old dad!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sunny, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. sunny

    sunny Guest

    My dad tonight rang me asking for help with his PC after my mum let my 10yr
    old nephew turn off the PC after using it earlier in the day. She has no pc
    knowledge whatsoever so couldnt tell me how he switched it off but he has
    now got the following problem:-

    He switched the power supply on at the plug as usual expecting to then turn
    on the tower, but on this occasion the tower automatically booted up without
    the the need to.

    The usual windows me screen appears and then the screen goes to a grey
    background and he gets a message saying 'new hardware found'. (Now i know my
    nephew is good with lego but hes not quite an expert at fitting new
    hardware!) A message then comes up recommending at automatic search. One
    other thing that appears is the mouse cursor but this cannot be moved. After
    searching it says that it was unable to locate the software for the device
    (what device it is looking for the software for, i dont know). After
    clicking on next he gets a small box appear whith the following:
    in the blue top it reads: Enum\HTREE\ROOT\O (could be more on the end of
    this?)
    and underneath this: SURegCreatekey failed (cursor over 'k'
    so could be something else)
    If ok is then pressed it just goes back to the grey screen and nothing
    happens.
    Ive tried starting in safemode but still no success, ive done the scandisk
    ok upon booting which found no errors and just did the same thing.

    Help would be appreciated as my dads interest in PC's has only comeabout
    over the last 12 months and now he cant get enough. Hope ive given enough
    info cos im not very good at this sort of this.

    hope to hear from someone soon

    Cheers

    sunny, Aug 31, 2004

  2. sunny

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Running LInux?-) or win98 or win xp?

    Rick Merrill, Aug 31, 2004

  3. sunny

    ICee Guest

    Nearly missed it myself. :)

    ICee, Aug 31, 2004
  4. sunny

    Unk Guest

    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

    Press and hold down the "Control" key during bootup until
    the Boot Menu appears, then select "5. Command prompt only".
    At the DOS prompt type "scanreg /restore" (Note the space)
    (You may need to type "cd c:\windows\command" if you get "bad command")
    Scan through the list and see if there's a date available when all was
    working correctly. If yes, restore that one, reboot.

    Unk, Sep 1, 2004
  5. sunny

    °Mike° Guest

    Use System Restore.

    °Mike°, Sep 1, 2004
  6. sunny

    Pennywise Guest

    |>The usual windows me screen appears and then the screen goes to a grey
    |>background and he gets a message saying 'new hardware found'. (Now i know my
    |>nephew is good with lego but hes not quite an expert at fitting new
    |>hardware!) A message then comes up recommending at automatic search. One
    |>other thing that appears is the mouse cursor but this cannot be moved. After
    |>searching it says that it was unable to locate the software for the device
    |>(what device it is looking for the software for, i dont know). After
    |>clicking on next he gets a small box appear whith the following:
    |>in the blue top it reads: Enum\HTREE\ROOT\O (could be more on the end of
    |>this?)
    |>and underneath this: SURegCreatekey failed (cursor over 'k'
    |>so could be something else)

    This sounds just like your problem:
    http://tinyurl.com/5pnql
    with fix.

    (appears to be ME)

    Pennywise, Sep 1, 2004
  7. sunny

    Fan Guest

    If all else fails, you can load Windows ME again from the original
    Microsoft CD. In Window ME, if you load without formatting the hard
    drive and without deleting the old Windows folder, it essentially
    refreshed many of the Windows files.

    This often fixes a problem. This technique is designed so you will not
    have to reload any programs. IF you were to delete the Windows folder,
    you would have to reload 100% of the programs. IF you format the hard
    drive, you will have to reload 100% of the programs AND you will loose
    all the data on the drive. This includes documents, spreadsheets,
    pictures, music, etc. EVERYTHING.

    Most technicians will use the "format the hard drive" technique
    because it is more likely to solve a given problem. It also takes less
    knowledge to run, just follow the same easy steps on every machine.
    The down side is that the user looses everything. The up side is that
    it is more likely to fix the problem so you can call the job "done."

    There are other answers, but this one is the easiest to understand.

    Fan, Sep 1, 2004