Sony's curved sensors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 15, 2014.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

  2. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 15/06/2014 7:12 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > http://phys.org/news/2014-06-sony-biomimicry-cmos-sensors.html#ajTabs

    Please don't take these comments as being unreasonably cynical:

    Biomimimicry didn't inspire humans to invent the wheel. Biology has some
    limitations.
    Some of the "problems" which might claim to be solved, aren't solved by
    the optical difference between an eyeball and a flat sensor, but by the
    fact that "problems" like rectilinear correction are compensated for in
    the brain.

    Good on Sony for this - which might have some practical benefit, but for
    photogrphy as we know it - possibly not very exciting.

    Me, Jun 15, 2014

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sunday, June 15, 2014 6:19:12 AM UTC-4, Me wrote:
    > On 15/06/2014 7:12 p.m., RichA wrote:
    >
    > > http://phys.org/news/2014-06-sony-biomimicry-cmos-sensors.html#ajTabs

    > Please don't take these comments as being unreasonably cynical:
    >

    > Biomimimicry didn't inspire humans to invent the wheel. Biology has some
    >
    > limitations.
    >
    > Some of the "problems" which might claim to be solved, aren't solved by
    >
    > the optical difference between an eyeball and a flat sensor, but by the
    >
    > fact that "problems" like rectilinear correction are compensated for in
    >
    > the brain.
    >

    > Good on Sony for this - which might have some practical benefit, but for
    >
    > photogrphy as we know it - possibly not very exciting.

    I wasn't thinking of the eyeball, just the ability perhaps to correct aberrations in lens systems more easily if they can ignored the curved image plane.

    RichA, Jun 15, 2014