Sony Vaio VGN-A117S Hard Drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Milleniumaire, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. The hard drive on my aging Sony vaio laptop crashed the other day. At
    least I assume it's the hard drive as I get a disc read error when
    trying to boot and this is accompanied by clicking sounds which I
    assume is the heads on the hard drive.

    I've been unable to recover the machine and so I thought I would
    confirm that the hard drive is definately the problem by plugging it
    into my desktop. To do this I need to remove the drive from my laptop
    and so I tried undoing all the screws on the bottom of the laptop but
    this still doesn't give me access to the internals. I've searched
    high and low for instructions on how to open the case and remove the
    drive but found nothing. I get the impression this isn't meant to be
    done on this machine as Sony have made it as difficult as possible!

    Can anyone offer any advise on how to remove the hard drive from my
    sony Vaio VGN-A117S? If I ever get the drive out (without wrecking
    the machine) and confirm it is faulty then I plan to replace the
    drive. I've found plenty of online stores that sell replacement
    drives but not one of them gives instructions on how to go about doing
    this!

    Thanks in advance.

    Paul.

    Milleniumaire, Jun 19, 2007

  2. Milleniumaire

    Gordon Guest

    Well here's one.....(google is your friend)...don't know ehether it's the
    same as yours...
    http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~jpc/vaio/

    Gordon, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Thanks, but I've already seen this one, and no, it's nothing like my
    machine!

    Milleniumaire, Jun 19, 2007
  4. Milleniumaire

    Pen Guest

    Pen, Jun 19, 2007
  5. Unfortunately the user manuals on the Sony site only describe how to
    change the memory in my machine, and to do this it isn't necessary to
    take the machine apart. I get the impression Sony don't want users to
    access the disk drive and so have made it as difficult as possible to
    do this. I've managed to "almost" get the cover off the notepad, but
    it appears to be held on my something I can't see and I don't want to
    force it and break it. I'm sure I've undone all the relevant screws
    so I don't know what is stopping it from being released. Any advice
    would be helpful.

    Paul.

    Milleniumaire, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Milleniumaire

    Quaoar Guest

    I have only a photo of the top of this notebook, but...

    Take a look at the strip just above the keyboard. On many Vaio
    notebooks, this strip is the entry point - it slides to the left about
    3/8 inch (9 cm), lifts up, and exposes the keyboard screw(s). This
    strip has formerly been fixed by a screw on the left margin, sometimes
    hidden by a flap over a USB port, etc. If there is no screw, then it
    might just be removed by a leftward pressure on the strip.

    Quaoar, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Thanks Q. The strip above the keyboard (at the screen hinge end) is a
    black plastic strip but it is firmly attached to the silver case top
    in which the keyboard sits i.e. this is all one piece. I have removed
    the keyboard and the whole top piece pivots slightly around the point
    at which the screen is hinged, but I can't lift it high enough to see
    what is stopping it from being removed. I suspect there are some
    clips (rather than screws) but I just can't see them and don't want to
    force it and break them.

    Paul.

    Milleniumaire, Jun 21, 2007