Sony Vaio Power Panel not controling brightness

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack B. Pollack, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. I just did a clean install of XP on my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX notebook. After
    the initial install I was unable to locate my original Sony recovery CDs. I
    was able to get most of the drivers I needed from the Sony Web site. The
    Sony site did not have downloads for the Hotkey Utility, Sony Notebook Setup
    or Power Panel.

    After doing extensive searching I did find another Sony site with many Vaio
    utilities (ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio). I was able to get the Hotkey util
    and Notebook Setup to work without any problems (although I am not sure that
    the versions installed are really for my model).

    I can dim the screen using the hotkeys, but Power Panel does not change
    screen brightness under any profile (again, not sure that I am using the
    correct version for my model. I did try all the PPs on above site).

    So my questions are:

    1. Does anyone know what the correct version is for the PCG-V505BX?
    2. Does anyone have this model and be willing to email/post the PP util?
    3. Any ideas on how to fix PP to control brightness if problem is not
    version related (have uninstalled and reinstalled PP util)?

    TIA

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 21, 2006

  2. I have a VAIO that I made a clean install of XP on to get rid of all the
    Sony shit. But for the useful utilites I had to install this Sony Download
    Taxi download thing which gets all the things you need. Here is the page
    that you need:

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&LOC=3

    HTH

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2006

  3. I just installed Download Taxi, it does not give you access to any other
    software not listed on the regular HTTP DL page. The program just gives you
    a "simple" way to DL lots of files at once.

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Yes, I know, but the point is that that page has the software you want.
    You're welcome..

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2006
  5. I DO appreciate your time, but I don't see the PP program anywhere the page.

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Well if PP isn't doing what it should maybe it needs some underlying drivers
    to interface with thee hardware. Make sure you have these two installed:

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&upd_id=1005&os_id=7

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&upd_id=1004&os_id=7

    and possibly this, but probably not:

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=PCGV505BX&upd_id=1325&os_id=7

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Thanks again for trying, but I already have these 3 packages installed.

    Jack B. Pollack, Jul 21, 2006