Sony PS3 Can't Play PAL PS2 Games..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mathew Good, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    iascoot Guest

    Correction: Can play SOME Ps2 Games, but not All and im sure it will
    be updateable via a firmware update etc

    Similar to how the Xbox360 Works

    iascoot, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    No they have Removed the Chip that does it..

    Mathew Good, Mar 1, 2007
  4. glue logic ?

    Mark Robinson, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Hardly matters if you've got a PS2 that's been available for years.

    The idea of the PS3 is to be a lot better, and it will only be better by
    playing PS3 games on the thing.
    You could either buy a PS2 for a 100 bucks or that is about all your PS2 is
    worth if you've got one.

    Why don't you complain about standard DVD players not being able to play
    your old VHS tapes while you're at it?
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    bAZZ Guest

    Not exactly. Sony implemented hardware based solution for the backwards
    compat stuff in US and Japan. They stated before release they would NOT
    use software for it at all. Now for Europe and rest world (us and oz
    etc) because they suddenly discovered that most PAL stuff wont work with
    the hardware solution (great testing programme they have eh.)they have
    to implement a software solution and estimate about 20-30% will work.

    NOT like they advertised..... 'your old PS2/PS1 (all 9000 of them !)
    games will all work on PS3 etc FUD etc.

    I may be wrong but don't think the firmware option will work either
    according to PS3 groups. There is some good ( and heated )debate about
    it in PS newsgroups and also in alt.games.video.xbox too cos a lot of
    PS3 fanboys crosspost there too.

    I think too Woger is right in the collapse of sales comment too. Seems
    to be not living up too Sonys estimations in US and Japan, so hate to
    see how here and rest of world sales will be. Seems the little Wii is
    killing it and xbox too.The little giant killer LOL.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Mar 1, 2007