    has the Precision Cinema Progressive Output (480p) listed but the combo
    player lists the component output as progressive 480p only. Are they
    one and the same? Thanks.

    Otto Pylot, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Are they exactly the same? I want to buy a DVD player with a component
    Precision Cinema would probably refer to the name of Sony's 3:2 reverse
    pull-down process for DVDs of filmed movies for progressive output on the
    component (Y, Pb, Pr) connections.

    3:2 reverse pull-down is necessary to properly assemble 3:2 pulled down 30 FPS
    interlaced video for progressive scanning. 3:2 pulldown is a processs that
    essentially makes a 24 FPS film fit into 30 FPS interlaced video without
    problems. This process has to be undone if you are scanning it progressively,
    otherwise you'll get picture artifacts.

    For DVDs from sources originally 30 FPS, reverse 3:2 pulldown is unnecessary.

    Be advised, pretty much all decent DVD players will have a reverse 3:2
    pull-down process equipped with the option to manually select what process to
    use or automatically detect what process to use. You also have the option to
    employ an external solution to handle the progressive processing or even allow
    the TV to handle it (provided that the TV's integrated
    interlaced-to-progressive scanning conversion is decent).

    As for the "combo player," if you are referring to a VCR/DVD combo, stay far
    away from those pieces of junk, regardless to who made them. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 18, 2004