Sony photo kiosk - down hill fast - Kinkos doesn't do maint?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hfs2, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    THere is a kinkos here in Maple Grove that replaced
    the Kodak photo kiosk with a Sony one. The first month
    there I must have printed about 30 shots. They were
    great.

    Then this month I went in to print up some vacation photos
    and I must say that machine has gone down hill.

    Now you can see a raster "band" about every 1/8 inch and about
    1/8 inch thick. The
    color is 'yellow'. There is even a piece of tape telling you to
    dial in a couple steps of red. Just to check it out I reprinted my favorite
    shot. Yep, the machine is junk. It dying.

    Just what is in this thing that needs maintanence? Kinkos sure
    isn't doing it. I guess getting a great print will be just like
    chemical shots... you just never know what condition the
    process is in.

    I used to use the Kodak kiosk at Walgreens but it was sooooo
    slow and I had to hump over just to use it. (Kodak, not everyone
    is 4'9"). The dots were way
    too large and after awhile looking at it, it looked 'comic book'.
    However, in the 6 months
    I used it the quality never changed like it did with the Sony.
    Seemed like a solid machine.
    I did see Walgreens service it once. They loaded what looked
    like clear colored 'celophane' into a printer.

    Again, what's in these things. Are there chemicals? Lasers? What?
    Thanks

    hfs2, Apr 24, 2004

  2. hfs2

    DigiGeek Guest

    On 23 Apr 2004 18:35:49 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:

    I don't use store Kiosk's for the same reason. Even a "cheap" Inkjet
    (< $200) printer can produce the same results! I use "PC Photo Kiosk"
    and an Epson R300. In two photoshoots, it practically pays for itself
    and I don't have to leave home at all! I'm curious why anyone with a
    PC at home goes to Kiosk stores anymore...

    DigiGeek, Apr 24, 2004

  3. hfs2

    Mark Panitz Guest

    yes Sony got the contract for those machine did you report your
    findings to the kinkos employees ? or the store manager? they can
    get it adjusted
    in some kinkos the senior cashier can adjust the machine
    (I know since I work for Kinkos)

    Mark Panitz, Apr 24, 2004
  4. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    The employee pointed out the color adjustment masking tape note.
    And no, I didn't say much. The raster 'walk' didn't look
    like something that could be fixed.

    hfs2, Apr 24, 2004
  5. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    Yah, I know. But these kiosk prints are pretty good, (used to be
    great), and I don't have to mess with color ink carts - a damn mess
    and $30 a pop. I don't print that many anyways.

    hfs2, Apr 24, 2004
  6. hfs2

    DigiGeek Guest

    Here's what is really strange. I had been using Kiosk printing for
    almost the last 10 years, until the inkjet printers and inks evolved
    to where they are now. There is nothing magical about a store kiosk!
    ALL of these store Kiosk centers are just stripped down PC's with
    dedicated software. The printer used to make the difference. In the
    past (last 5 to 10 years), the argument was valid because dye
    sublimation printing WAS far superior to inkjet! This is NOT true
    today! You are paying FAR more using store Kiosk machines than buying
    inkjet photo paper!

    I pay less than $11.00 for 50 sheets of high quality 8.5 x 11 inch
    paper. Do the math folks!

    As for messy and color fading myths - they are NOT true today - unless
    you hit your ink cartridges with a hammer!

    I guess some folks just like wasting MONEY - oh well....

    DigiGeek, Apr 25, 2004
  7. hfs2

    Ron Baird Guest

    Ron Baird, Apr 26, 2004