Sony & Panasonic Newbie Quest's Re First DVD Player Purchase ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robert11, May 21, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Have never had a DVD player before, and am looking
    to buy my first one. Wow, it's sure confusing.
    Almost like buying a printer for your PC; everytime you blink, there's a new
    model out.

    Anyway, it'll probably be a Panasonic or a Sony.

    Would like to ask the following please:

    a. For the same price, is a Sony DVD player a higher quality item,
    generally ?

    b. How have the Panasonic's and Sony in the $100 range been for reliability
    ?
    Suggested models for either ?

    Realize at these $100 or so proice levels, they are both essentially
    throw-aways, but has one brand
    proven to be significantly more reliable ?

    c. Looked on the Panasonic site, and found the following single disk models
    in my $100 price range:

    S35K
    S35S
    S47K

    Which is the newest ?

    Anyone able to offer any opinions on any of these three, and/or which one to
    get for light home usage ?

    What are the meaningful differences ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, May 21, 2004

  2. a. For the same price, is a Sony DVD player a higher quality item,
    Subject to debate.

    However, a Panasonic player for about the same price as a low end Sony player
    will offer progressive scan where the Sony does not unless you spend a little
    more.
    Very good.

    If you want the biggest bang for the buck but don't care for cosmetics, just
    get a Panasonic, Toshiba, or a JVC.

    If you want a player that's going to work with recordable discs most reliably,
    consider a Pioneer.

    If you want a player with great exterior styling, get a Sony.

    All of these mentioned brands will have excellent audio and video performance
    coupled with superior reliability and readability over the other brands,
    especially cheapies like Apex, GoVideo, Mintek, and Emerson. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 21, 2004

  3. Robert11

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Robert11"
    Date: Fri, May 21, 2004 12:50 PM

[...]

    BobMy Panasonics have not given me any problems. There are other good units on the
    market also. If you are ever inclined to get a Panasonic DVD recorder, it might
    be nice if your second DVD Player could also play DVD Ram disks which most
    Panasonic units do.

    FredBillie, May 22, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Mook23 Guest

    Sony makes a good TV and not much else. They used to make better quality
    stuff back in the pre-80's days, but most of it is pretty shitty now for the
    money you pay.
    I've got a Toshiba in this range and the picture and sound are really,
    really clear. There's some picture options as well, like increased black
    level and a colour setting for animation that is nice to have as an
    enhancement. However, it won't read SVCDs at all, but seems to have no
    problem with DVD+ or -.
    Form over function? Bad advice.

    Mook23, May 23, 2004
  5. Sony makes a good TV and not much else. They used to make better quality
    So far, almost every single item that I have that is Sony has never let me
    down, especially their video equipment. This includes my DVP-S360 DVD player,
    which is still playing.

    As for audio, I can agree with your assessment up to a point. If you buy upper
    range ES equipment, it's fascinating how various impressions can change.

    One of the worst sounding receivers I've used is a Sony STR-DE445. On the
    other hand, one of the best sounding receivers I've used and continue to use is
    a Sony STR-DA4ES. This receiver not only has great sound quailty with
    excellent power, but also uses the most versatile EQ system I have ever seen,
    which receivers costing a few times more do not have. It also pairs up with my
    Optimus Mach 3 stereo speakers very well.

    As for Optimus speakers, I know about RadioShack being some of the worst crap
    next to KLH. However, the Mach series were some of the few speakers that RS
    managed to get right and are surprisingly great.
    Except Sony DVD players are generally very good in terms of function. They
    also look good, so that helps.

    I wish JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Toshiba would make their DVD players that
    look as good as the Sonys.

    Only problem with just about any DVD player is that they are going towards
    silver color models. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 24, 2004
  6. My Panasonics have not given me any problems. There are other good units on
    And seriously consider DVD recorders with a built-in hard disk if you are going
    the recording route.

    Those allow for some very versatile features, such as chase playback recording.
    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 24, 2004
  7. Robert11

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (LASERandDVDfan)
    Date: Sun, May 23, 2004 8:56 PM
    And seriously consider DVD recorders with a built-in hard disk if you are going
    the recording route.

    Those allow for some very versatile features, such as chase playback recording.
    - ReinhartI should have mentioned that my Panasonic Recorder is a DMR-HS2 and has a hard
    drive. I would agree that the hard drive is almost a must for the utmost
    convenience in removing commercials and programing more than two or three shows
    BUT, I believe the Panasonics Ram disk allows chase recordings or am I
    confusing this with the time slip feature?

    FredBillie, May 24, 2004