SONY F-717 verses SONY CD 505

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    SONY F-717 verses SONY CD 505

    I do lots of photography with models and need to upgrade my Sony
    Mavica 91 camera to something that has lots of magapixels. So I am
    seriously considering getting the Sony F717 camera.

    Also I see that there is a camera that takes CD's. I think it's the
    Sony CD 500 or 505. I'm not sure which. But my question is, I would
    highly appreciate any information on which camera would be the best
    out of the two in buying.

    They are both 5 magapixels and I could get either one for just about
    the same price.

    Thanks and I'll be waiting for any advice.

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Matt

    Beowulf Guest

    Matt, I own the F717 (but I plan on selling it on eBay in a day or two
    as I just today ordered the Canon EOS 10D SLR digital camera!) and also
    photograph models, so if I can be of any help let me know. I find the
    717 a very very nice camera for photographing models, I have just decided
    to move up in caliper to a true SLR digital. I do not know about the
    other camera you mention, but if it has a disk my thought would be to
    stick with a camera that uses a memory card because i would think the
    time to capture and write a photo to the storage medium would be much
    slower with a disk-based camera like the CD505. The F717 can photograph
    in a burst mode and take images fast. The F717 can also photograph in
    total darkness using a hologram focusing method and what is called
    nightframing, etc. The F717 mimics SLR by using a viewfinder and a
    'simulated' (tiny LSC display) view of what you see through the lens (in
    addition to a larger LSC display on the back of the camera for display of images, etc.

    The Carl Zeiss optical zoom lens of the F717 is very nice also.

    Beowulf, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    It will be the 717 than!! Thanks VERY much for your insightful
    message. I completely forgot about the slow writing to the CD. It
    never occured to me about that. You are totaly correct about that
    point.

    I have the older Sony Mavica 91 that takes 1.4 (3.5") floppy disks
    and when I take a pic it just grinds and skakes for like 10 seconds l
    until the picture is written on that disk. So I can't imagine what it
    would be like to record a 5 magapixel unto a CD. Yikes!!

    BTW, I was doing a search for prices on the 717 on the net and found a
    place that sells the 717 for $515. And I'm sure once that new
    camera comes out it might even go down lower. And it's good to know it
    has a better lens and just overall so much better. Thanks again very
    much!!! :)

    Matt

    Matt, Aug 18, 2003

  4. Matt - buying ultra cheap cameras online is a crapshoot at best. I have
    never seen so many very poor merchants crowded into such a small group of
    products. Try to use a merchant that's got some good independent
    feedback.....

    Robert McDermitt, Aug 18, 2003