Sony DSC-W12 (a.k.a. W1) - First Impression

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Muir, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Jim Muir

    Jim Muir Guest

    Bought this camera today from Jessops (UK) on a price match with
    Amazon for 245GBP. Then I spent another 70 GBP at PC World for a 512Mb
    Sony Memory Stick Pro. Been testing the cam all afternoon indoors and,
    though now somewhat skint, I'm delighted.

    DSC-W12 is a special edition of the DSC-W1. For the extra money you
    get a very nice little leather case and two additional NiMh batteries.
    Also, the camera itself is black instead of silver. Otherwise,
    functionally the two cams are identical.

    I thought long and hard before getting another digital camera, looking
    at the Sony DSC-V3 and DSC-P150 before deciding on this one. Namely
    because:

    1. I don't really need 7.2 megapixels (DSC-W12 is 5.1).
    2. DSC-W12 is very small. Incredibly compact. Wife loves it already.
    3. DSC-W12 has a very large LCD (2.5 inches). Wife likes that too.
    4. The operating system is almost the same as the old DSC-P72.
    5. For me the stills are excellent - especially indoor ones without
    flash.
    6. Like the other cams above, DSC-W12 does 30fps 640x480 movies.

    However, potential owners should note that the hi-res movies can only
    be written to a MS Pro card - NOT a normal MS (which is fine for
    stills and the other video modes).

    What REALLY, in the end, swayed me to this particular cam were the
    sample pictures and MPEG movie available for download towards the
    bottom of this page (at the end of the review):

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1_samples.html

    I can't say much more about the camera on a technical level because
    I'm no expert. But in terms of build quality and results I think
    you'll find it very hard to beat at this price point. I wanted
    something simple that would do good stills and good short movies. A
    lot of cams I looked at did the stills bit okay, but fell short on the
    movie side, by only allowing a preset movie length, irrespective of
    the size of the installed memory card. I might well have bought a
    Canon if it hadn't been for this restriction on many of their
    products.

    I wanted ONE SINGLE device to take on trips, which could do everything
    acceptably well. I can't be bothered anymore taking a stills camera
    AND a camcorder on holiday. It's just too much hassle. Moreover, some
    air stewardesses insist on putting your pricey kit up in the overhead
    luggage compartments, along with rucksacks, booze bottles and all
    manner of other gear that could cause serious damage to electronic
    equipment.

    Whereas, now - with the Sony DSC-W12 - seems my problems are solved.
    The small leather case slides onto one's belt and…bob's yer uncle. No
    wurries.

    I know Memory Sticks are quite a bit more expensive than other types
    of flash media. But IMHO they work well and I also notice that Sony
    now does another device (basically a 40Gb hard disk with memory card
    slots) into which you can dump your material to free up space on your
    installed card. Model number is: HDPSM11U1 and it can be seen on the
    Sony Style Europe web site (the exact link is excessively long to
    quote). But start here:

    http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/

    Okay - I've heard it said that Mr Sony can be a tad expensive -
    especially if you buy directly from him (as you sometimes have to when
    his more esoteric devices are unavailable in the local shops).

    However - after many years with his company's products I have yet to
    be disappointed with either the build-quality, performance or
    longevity. In my opinion the gear does what it says - very well - and
    keeps going, on and on and on. Looks like all that stuff will see me
    out for sure.

    In conclusion, and in case you're wondering, I don't work for Sony and
    never have. I'm just a pleased customer hoping to help others like
    myself in search of a first class digicam, (for not a lot of cash),
    that's versatile and eminently portable. I think the DSC-W12 fits that
    bill jolly well.

    You should check it out - OR the slightly less-expensive DSC-W1 (but
    then you might have bother finding a snug-fit case. I didn't want that
    inconvenience).

    Hope this info is of use to some.

    Jim Muir, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Jim Muir

    Jerry G. Guest

    From my personal experience, I never went wrong with Sony products. I have
    been using Sony cameras, TV's, and electronics for years. Like anything
    else, some of them required some maintenance, but overall, I have been
    extremely happy with their products. Also, some of the other big names, like
    Panasonic and Hitachi are excellent. In camera equipment, most of the large
    manufactures are also very good. It gets down to the options, and what
    anomalies you can live with.

    As for Sony and Panasonic, these two are the largest manufactures of high
    quality TV broadcast, and professional equipment in the world.

    As for myself, I have a Canon Pro-1, and a Canon S-40 camera for taking my
    home still pictures. I am very happy with the performance of these two
    cameras. I have been told by their service centre, that the technology used
    in these cameras is from Sony.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jan 3, 2005

  3. Jim Muir

    irwell Guest

    I have the Sony W1, like it a lot, you can use the
    Olympus C5000 36 to 52 mm adapter, on Ebay shopping for
    about $20, if you have any close up or teleconverter lenses.

    With regard to Sony products overall my experience has varied,
    my Sony TV has performed flawlessly for over 3 years, but a
    top of the line VCR failed miserably on a lot of functions,
    other users has similar complaints, also a camcorder (Hi-8)
    version had a cheesey type of deteriation set in on the
    little door that opens for the cassett.

    irwell, Jan 3, 2005