sony dsc - V1 infrared photography???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bloke, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. bloke

    bloke Guest

    hi,

    are here any Sony dsc-v1 users that can help me with this issue?
    I would like to take infrared pictures with my v1.
    Tried to point with a tv remotecontroll to the lens I could clearly
    se a dot lighten up from teh remote.
    So I guess it will capture Ir light in "normal" mode.Then just use a
    ir filter infront of the lens could give some ir kind of looking pics,
    wouldn´t it?!

    But I guess It would be better to use it on nightshoot mode,But
    this;like it says in the manual, might damage the camera. SO i guess
    Im trapped here?
    what to do? will a ir filter or other filter of somekind save my
    camera when
    using it in nightshoot mode in dayligt/sunlight? or should I just
    forget that idea?

    any help is good help

    chers

    bloke, Jan 5, 2004

  2. bloke

    MightyKitten Guest

    I dont know especialy about the V1, but I have a sony DSC-707

    In normal mode, your sony will capture ir light, but not as much as in
    Nightshot mode
    If you put an IR filter infront of your lens in normal mode, you will only
    be able to see IR light from very strong sources (eg light bulbs, sun - but
    don't try- , Remotes) If you want to take IR pictures in daylight using
    nightshot, you will need an extra light reducing filter. I got a 4 stop and
    a 2 stop filter. This will take care of most dutch weather ciscumstances...
    These filters are almost certainly aviable through your local photo supply
    store.

    PS if you shoot n day light, you might also want to kill your IR led. I
    recomand a patch of thick black leather because IR will shine though most
    paper, kitchen foil and other materials. (also see
    http://stecf.org/~rfosbury/home/photography/infrared/imaging_ir.html)

    MK

    MightyKitten, Jan 6, 2004