Sony DSC-P32 query - HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David_Hyams, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. David_Hyams

    David_Hyams Guest

    I am hoping that someone here can help me.

    My wife and I are completely new to digital photography and while in New
    York recently, to run in the marathon, we were tempted to buy the Sony DSC
    P32 digital camera. Now that we are home, we are looking at it and wondering
    just what we have bought. It has a 16mb memory stick but I cannot understand
    how many pictures that allows us to store on the camera. There is a table in
    the accompanying booklet which states the number of images that can be saved
    in the memory stick.It quotes for "fine" and "standard" images and also
    quotes for various image sizes(3.1m,2.8m,2.0m,1.2m and something called VGA
    whatever that is). What does all this mean? I basically want to take a load
    of pictures (say, 100 or so), on holidays etc, and decide which ones I want
    to keep when I get home. Do I need to get a larger memory stick?

    Any assistance would be appreciated. Perhaps there is a website somewhere
    that can be of help. I didn't realise all this digital stuff was so complex!

    Thanks

    David Hyams

    David_Hyams, Nov 24, 2003

  2. You just need a larger memory stick, they only include the most basic with
    the camera to get you started. You'll probably want a minimum of 128 mb, or
    go all out for the 256mb.

    At its highest resolution- 3.1megapixel & fine setting, you'll use up the
    most memory i.e., fewer photos stored on the stick. If you lower the
    resolution and/or use standard instead of fine, you'll have more space

    Check the following course for more than I could ever tell you:

    http://www.shortcourses.com/pixels/index.htm

    Mr. Transistor, Nov 24, 2003