Sony DSC-F828

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stephen Rabinowitz, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Anyone know when the Sony F828 will be available for sale?

    Stephen Rabinowitz, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Stephen  Rabinowitz

    Bob Niland Guest

    One of the many second-tier resellers
    currently accepting pre-orders is quoting
    January 15, 2004.

    Since Sony had originally planned an
    Oct'03, then Nov, then Dec release, the
    problem is likely NOT an inability to
    ramp up volume for holiday sales.

    Speculation is that there are technical
    problems. The speculation is reinforced
    by the so-so sample F828 images that
    Sony has on their Japan site (which is
    entirely in Japanese except for the URLs).

    So far, it appears that the output of the
    F828 is not really an improvement over the
    DSC-F717. Some new capabilities (e.g. CF),
    but this "8Mp" cam might as well have
    stayed with the 5Mp sensor.

    One tip-off will be "final" reviews. If
    only the "pretty picture" review sites (like
    Steve's) get F828s, and the tech-detail sites (like DPR) don't, then we'll know
    that Sony is trying to "manage" some bad
    news.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Stephen  Rabinowitz

    H Guest

    According to the latest rumors on dpreview forums it seems
    like mid desember.

    H, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Stephen  Rabinowitz

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Those samples are not too bad - noise is not too high and shouldn't be
    visible in a print anyway. What else are you referring to ?

    I find the idea of having an 8MP camera great - finally enough pixels to
    compete with film (well almost, as you'd need around 9MP).

    Alfred Molon, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Stephen  Rabinowitz

    Bob Niland Guest

    I'm not impressed by the resolution (e.g.
    the wires in the distance). Had the shooter
    used f8, we might know more. More critical
    users on other forums have complained about
    the noise.
    Don't start that debate, or we'll never
    hear the end of it from the Kodachrome 25
    crowd :)

    6Mp is arguably "good enough" for most casual
    35mm shooters, because:
    - that's what they get on budget 35mm scanners
    - that's what they got with PhotoCD
    - it's more than adequate for 8x10 prints

    My sense is that the F828 cannot really
    resolve all 8Mp, and that may be OK with me,
    because:
    a. 6Mp is all I wanted, and
    b. Being unable to resolve ensures
    no false-color

    In other F828 news, it's beginning to appear
    that the F828 cannot accept all the F707 and
    F717 accessory lenses. The official Sony list
    for the F828 only lists one filter-size
    close-up lens. Apparently, the F828 front lens
    element moves, and my guess is that the mass
    of the multi-element wide/tele adaptors is
    incompatible with the focus and/or zoom servos.

    The F828 may not be able to go a wide/far as
    the F7x7, nor adapt to 'scopes, nor etc.
    Time will tell.

    Bob Niland, Oct 11, 2003