    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ok, so it's time to give up and try another USB optical drive. If that doesn't work, start uninstalling things. I went through this process and I ended up reinstalling Windows to get rid of the problem. I still suspect WinRAR has done a number on your system. That's the first item to uninstall.

    bigal, Apr 28, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's not WinRar, because it doesn't work on my laptop and there's no WinRar on there. The fact that it doesn't work on three different machines leads me to belive it has nothing at all to do with my equipment but rather it's a problem with the drive.

    The Modfather, Apr 28, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    it took you this long? lol :p

    XhArD, Apr 28, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Uh, yes, well, there are other reasons. Let alone the fact that I wanted to try everything possible first to get it to work, I've had other things going on. Between the new mod project, my dad being in and out of the hospital, me being sick off and on, well, you know how it goes.

    The Modfather, Apr 28, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    it goes A = B <> C

    Have u ever attempted to ring Sony yet? waiting 3 hours might fix the problems :p

    unholy, Apr 29, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, that might work. :) I'll call them as the next step in the chain of events.

    The Modfather, Apr 29, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Sounds like a plan, why not cut the other steps short and see what they have to say about ur Dilemma :)

    unholy, Apr 30, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I did check their online services but, it seems that according to their website this drive doesn't even exist. :) At least not as a DRX-810UL, only as a DRU-810A, which is the drive inside the external enclosure.

    The Modfather, Apr 30, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    velcro

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Canada
    Hi, I just purchased this external burner as well; simply as a backup to my external BenQ 162I which i have had since December 2005 and really do love with the Book Management proggy and DVD-ROM burning exe.
    I don't have Q Suite installed as the burner has worked fine from day 1 and all of my firmware is uptodate. Have done 100+ backups and not one single coaster; albeit that I use the Media recommended by BenQ's phone support out of Irvine Ca.

    I bought this Sony as i understand it is a rebadge of the externa 164B I think that is the model number I didn't write it down and will indeed relook it up and then of course have more precise info.
    Right now my question is of a general nature and that is if it is a rebadge of the BenQ which I have been advised in CD Freaks and After Dawn forums I was wondering if I can simply d/l the Book Management for the correct External Model of the BenQ and use that for the Book Management DVD-ROM burning which is that d/l from the BenQ site.

    Would it work, as I don't want to do cross flashing etc. and invalidate my burner extended warranty of 2 years.

    I would appreciate comments. It just occurred to me that I should not have to do anything if it is simply a rebadge and I spoke to BenQ phone support in Irvine Ca and they were not certain; however thought that it should work as they are now out of the optical drive production business in the sense that they no longer maked BenQ burners but now sell the parts to companies like Sony.

    I am a Noob to all of this and indeed would appreciate a reply as all I want to do is burn in DVD ROM. I know I can set it to do that in Nero 6.6.6.18 the most stable version for me; however I often use Slysofts Clone DVD and as well 1 Click DVD Copy and have used them with the Book Management exe. with great results and would like to do the same with this new external burner.

    Experienced members comments would indeed be greatly appreciated.

    Thankyou.

    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
    velcro, Sep 24, 2006