    Location:
    Australia
    i would have to say theres an issue with the driver... after all this is plugging externally! :|

    unholy, Apr 16, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    The problem is, there is no driver, at least none that installs from the disk that comes with it. All that's on there are Nero tools. Sony's site doesn't even have a file for it other than a PDF document and Windows doesn't have any later drivers. It recognizes the drive technically as a DRU-810A, which it is, really, in this external enclosure. I don't know what else to try so my next step is to call Sony.

    The Modfather, Apr 16, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Look for upgrades to Nero tools. If there are none, uninstall Nero tools and try another burning application - one that's a trial or free. Maybe it's a built-in issue with a "free" copy of Nero tools? How did you obtain your copy?

    bigal, Apr 16, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    ... ring.... ring... ring .... "Sony, why is my DVD drive playing up!!! i want answers!!!"... other end dies out... dit... dit

    unholy, Apr 17, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Al, Nero works, that's not the problem, the problem is that ONLY Nero works, WINDOWS doesn't recognize it as a DVD+RW, just Nero.

    The Modfather, Apr 17, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    See, that's what is strange here. Maybe Nero took over the "ownership" of the drive. Go check out Nero's website and look for some FAQ's or forums to discuss this with other people using that application.

    bigal, Apr 17, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nope, because it did this before I installed the Nero software, I didn't intend to install it, I prefer to use other software but when I couldn't get any further I installed it from the disk that came with the drive. So it's not the Nero software that's causing it.

    The Modfather, Apr 17, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Go ahead and reformat the drive. I would at this point.

    bigal, Apr 25, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    ring sony, ask for drivers and if they say there is none, ask to speak to the manager...

    unholy, Apr 25, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't bother. Reformat and be done with it. It's the right thing to do...

    bigal, Apr 25, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I JUST DID REFORMAT!! I am NOT reformatting again, twice in two months? Forget that... I'll return the damned thing before I reformat again, it's nothing to do with my system.

    The Modfather, Apr 25, 2006
  12. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You heard the old saying, "Third times a charm!"???

    Ok, have you swapped out the optical drive with another manufacturer version?

    bigal, Apr 25, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    why did u have to get an external, they are always a pain in the ass.

    unholy, Apr 26, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    why do you *not* have any internal drives? hmm nathan?

    XhArD, Apr 26, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My last recommendations:

    Remember this optical drive has several connections, "Connect via USB 2.0 or i.LINK (FireWire/IEEE1394 compatible). Includes 4pin and 6pin i.LINK ports.". Can you arrange a FireWire connection to your computer?

    Another idea is to pull the drive out of the case, and do an IDE connection after slipping the drive into an empty bay of your computer. Or, if you have another USB drive case, put the optical drive in there.

    bigal, Apr 26, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i dont have any internal Optical Drives... i do have a DVD Burner and CD Burner in my Workstation PC, but for the rest i resort to Images (Mounted in Virtual Drives) or Network Booting for win XP :) (or for Ghosts)

    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
    unholy, Apr 26, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    My DVD+/-RW in this rig died on me (It's basically the same one as the external I bought to replace it) but this case is funky, it's that two piece Sony case and accessing the internal drives is all but impossible. I got the external to save having to pull the rig apart, it'd be a HUGE HUGE pain to do that, you'd have to see my setup to understand.

    Anyway, I did try Firewire, same problem. <UGH!>

    Even so, I wouldn't want to use it on the Firewire, it'd be too blasted slow.

    The Modfather, Apr 27, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't believe a case modder is whining about pulling a case apart. Like Arnold said in Predator, "Come on....do it! What are you waiting for...come on...."
    [​IMG]

    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
    bigal, Apr 27, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    And look what happened to Ahhhhnold!

    I don't worry about pulling it apart persay, I worry about pulling it apart and it being a complete tragedy because this is my main working rig. The other reason I got the external is so I can swap it between all the machines easily. But really, if you saw my desk you'd know why I don't open this case, there's literally NO ROOM to work here. There isn't an inch of space between one big of hardware and the next and to get at the rig it'd be several hours of moving crap around to make room.

    The Modfather, Apr 27, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Hey i would get a External if all my Machines could boot from it, but most dont Boot from USB :| so i just have to get out the olde CD Rom and Plug it into the IDE (not screwed in or anything... but thats only when i need to :)

    unholy, Apr 28, 2006