    Australia
    delete windows and run linux :p

    Isn't the windows thing only for burning CD's? u could also try disabling and reinstalling the windows thingy, that might fix it.

    unholy, Apr 10, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Could you please explain what "the windows thing" is?

    I'm talking about Windows Explorer, you can open any drive (or should be able to) whether it's CD-RW, DVD-RW or what not, with Windows Explorer and just drag files into the open disk, it should work that way no matter what the drive is. But in this case it doesn't. If I put a CD-RW in there or CD-R, no problem, but any kind of DVD recordable media gives me that error.

    The Modfather, Apr 11, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe you should try another file manager program. It could be a bug in Windows Explorer.

    bigal, Apr 11, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's one possibility, I didn't even think of that. Got a suggestion for the best file manage replacement that's free?

    The Modfather, Apr 11, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll ask my co-worker today. He's using something that works well. I never found the need to seek a replacement until now.

    bigal, Apr 11, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Update:

    My co-worker is using "PowerDesk Pro" software. There is a free trial you can download to give it a whirl, and see if it works with your optical drives:

    http://www.shop.avanquest.com/usa/trial.php?pid=686

    "This free version of PowerDesk Pro, PowerDesk Standard, provides with robust desktop utilities that you can use as long as you like. To unlock the full power of PowerDesk Pro simply upgrade to the full version."

    bigal, Apr 11, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nah, didn't fix the problem, nice program though, ugh!

    The Modfather, Apr 12, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Too bad. Anyway, I've started using that file manager at work now.

    bigal, Apr 12, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    It kind of reminds me of certain FTP clients I've used, the whole two panel thing and all that, good idea. Wish it'd fixed the problem though.

    The Modfather, Apr 12, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe you need to look for an updated driver. Check out what driver is used by those optical drives. Search for a newer one.

    bigal, Apr 12, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    this might aid you in your troubles?

    Properties of the Drive :)
    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

    • CDR.JPG
      CDR.JPG
      File size:
      118.8 KB
  12. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's got the latest drivers, checked that.

    Properties are identical to what you have there Nathan, only when there's a DVD in it, it doesn't say DVD-RW or even CD-RW it just says "CD Drive" which is wrong.

    The Modfather, Apr 13, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You've tried more than one brand of DVD media, right?

    bigal, Apr 13, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yep, so far I've tried... Lets see...

    TDK, Fuji, NexTech and Verbatim Dual Layer disks.

    Doesn't matter if they're DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW DL or DVD-RW DL, it just refuses to recognize any blank DVD media. Now if it's been burned already, no problem, it'll read those, but if it's blank, nope.

    The Modfather, Apr 13, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    u have driver problems if windows reckons its a CD drive :|

    unholy, Apr 13, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Uh, yeah but it's the only driver there is for it, it's like, a new product, ya know?

    The Modfather, Apr 13, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try installing the optical drive in another computer. See if you have the same problems. It might be a combination of hardware issues - IRQ conflict or something of this nature.

    bigal, Apr 14, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmm, good point, I'll do that. I should have thought of that before this, the laptop is right here. Duh! Lets see what happens.

    Nope, same damned error on the laptop, E:\ Drive is inaccessable, Incorrect Function. What the hell?

    The Modfather, Apr 14, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    New product, new bugs :p You say you've googled it and gotten some issues, but not the same problem?

    XhArD, Apr 14, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, never the exact same one, it's kind of hard to google for something this specific. It's not a problem with Nero, it works with Nero no problem, recognizes every kind of disk, it's just a problem with Windows (regardless of what file manger I use) that it refuses to recognize any media other than prerecorded discs or blank CD's but not blank DVD's. Weird problem.

    The Modfather, Apr 14, 2006