Sony DRX 810 UL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm picking one of these up tomorrow...

    [​IMG]

    Looks like a nice deal, $145 for it, to replace the bad DVD RW in my system so I can make proper backups finally.

    Sony’s latest external DVD burner incorporates 8.5GB DVD-R Dual Layer as well as DVD+R Double Layer burning in addition to dual format 4.7GB DVD burning. DVD+R burning speed is a blazing 16X max, burning a full DVD in approximately 6 minutes. Double Layer and Dual Layer Recording speed is 8X max. DVD+RW speeds are 8X max for DVD+RW and 6X max for DVD-RW respectively. Ultra fast 48X max CD-R and 32X max CD-RW burning means you no longer need a separate CD Burner for good performance. What hasn’t changed is the attractive DRX-810UL comes bundled with an unbeatable Nero 6.6 software suite and incorporate dual interfaces – both Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and i.LINK (Firewire & IEEE1394 compatible) interfaces are included.
    • Burns DVD+R discs at 16X max, capable of burning a full disc in about 6 minutes.
    • Burns 8.5GB DVD+R Double/Dual discs up to 8X max. Double/Dual Layer discs capable of storing up to 4 hours of MPEG-2 Video on single sided disc with 2 recording layers. Recorded DVD+R Double/Dual layer discs compatible with most consumer DVD players and DVD-ROM drives
    • Burns standard 4.7GB DVD+R and DVD+RW Discs and CD-R/RW.
    • Maximum flexibility & compatibility – Choose the optimal DVD recordable media for your project without sacrificing compatibility with your playback hardware.
    • Award winning Nero™ Software for Windows®.
    • Dual Interfaces – Connect via USB 2.0 or i.LINK (FireWire/IEEE1394 compatible). Includes 4pin and 6pin i.LINK ports.
    • External 16X Max. Burner For Windows Computers.
    • Burns 8.5GB DVD+R Double Layer & DVD-R Dual Layer Discs.
    • Burns Standard 4.7GB DVD+R & DVD+RW Discs.
    • Dual Interface – USB 2.0 and i.LINK/FireWire Ports.
    • Ultra High Performance CD-R/RW Burning.

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    mmmm i need a DVD burner :p, looks good :)

    unholy, Mar 28, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yep, tasty! I can't wait...

    How'd it happen? Interesting story. I've had this small credit card for about a year now ($200 or so limit) but it hasn't been working lately. I thought they'd put a hold on it because of some disputed charges last month but yesterday I called them, I couldn't understand it, I'd been paying my premiums regularly but I couldn't use the blasted card. So they said they fixed it, somehow they had gotten it into the system that I'd cancelled it. Oddly enough they didn't stop sending me premium bills though. <Shrug> So they upped my line of credit. :)

    Hence, I can afford to get this drive I need, yippee!

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That looks like a sweat drive and deal. Maybe it's something you could do a quickie review on. You know, to meet your monthly quota....

    bigal, Apr 3, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hehehe, I might do that, it's got a really sweet drive door cover, it's a mirror, you can't tell from the pics though. :) I've been sick as a dog the past few days with the flu so I haven't had a chance to play much.

    The Modfather, Apr 4, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If it's that avian flu, keep away from me. We just had a briefing on it yesterday at work. Nasty stuff, and there isn't much we can do about it.

    bigal, Apr 4, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    except get some birds and take their flu samples and discover a treatment.

    PS, if u dont know why bigal refered to it as a Avian flu then shhhh, just dont go near asian where they had problems :p

    unholy, Apr 5, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    first, theres only ONE asian? Second, it's been appearing in Europe more than it has in Asia. third, im pretty sure modfather is a little more up to date with the news that you are. As Al said, we can't do anything about it yet. It's an inter-species mutation, like HIV/AIDS was from the monkeys. It's been a while now and we haven't got a cure for that, but this flu can be airborne, can it not?. If so, we could be right up shit creek.

    XhArD, Apr 5, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Several species have died from mutated versions of this virus. The virus itself has a high error rate during mutation, so it mutates quite a bit. Our big fear is that human-to-human transmission will become common, but it's not there yet. Also, there is a 50% death rate right now.

    bigal, Apr 5, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    So maybe thats why ian doesn't respond :p

    unholy, Apr 6, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Really I don't think it's the bird flu, if it is though, I expect I should be dead soon but instead it's clearing up a bit. :)

    I'm pretty sure it's just your average every day human cold. :)

    I'm noticing a problem with this drive already, I don't know if it's the drive or my computer but considering they're both Sony it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Seems whenever I try to access the drive from Windows Explorer it errors and says there was an invalid function, but, if I use the bundled Nero software it seems to work except not with dual layer disks. What the heck?

    The Modfather, Apr 7, 2006
  12. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've had that "invalid function" issue before. It started after I installed some type of file compression tool - maybe that WinRar or what ever it's called. This happened on the Globe of Retribution machine. I ended up having to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. Good luck! Did you install a file compression tool?

    bigal, Apr 7, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, Winrar, but I've always had Winrar on my machines and never had anything like this happen. One of the things we build here ourselves for resale are sub-systems. HDD, Optical and so forth, and they all just PnP'd just fine in the past.

    The Modfather, Apr 8, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Why would WinRAR affect it? that just seems stupid. If anything WinZip would because it installs spyware.

    I have used WinRar for ages, never had any problems like that. Check the windows website for a BugFix, sometimes they come out after the SP and they neva require to be downloaded through windows Update.

    unholy, Apr 9, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I could only figure it was WinRAR at the time. It's been about a year now. For some reason I was convinced that is what did it, so I refuse to install that application again.

    Anyway, enjoy the Windows re-installation......

    bigal, Apr 9, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I already DID a windows re-install remember? Last week. There's no spyware, virus, trojan or malware on this machine now of any kind. I've got the latest updates on all my firewall/spyware/virus checkers including firmware updates for the Cisco firewall, it's pretty tight and I haven't visited any sites other than my own, here, think and google's front page which is my start page. So I'm inclined to believe that there's an issue here that's not related to any kind of malware.

    What exactly that issue is, I have no idea yet.

    The Modfather, Apr 9, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I didn't mean WinRAR was malware. I think it conflicts with something in the OS - some driver for your optical drives.

    Say, if it's a Sony optical drive, maybe you now have a rootkit installed!

    bigal, Apr 9, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Har Har, it's a Sony PC, so I probably do. :)

    I just don't get it. If I put in a DVD that's been burned, it recognizes it fine. It'll also recognize CD+/-RW's/R's and so forth, just not DVD+/-RW/R or DL DVD's that are blank of any kind. I've found tons of SIMILAR problems through google searches, some relating to various virus checking programs, some related to optical drive authoring tools like Roxio (Which I don't have) or Nero (Which I do have but this problem existed prior to my installing that). None of it makes any sense.

    The Modfather, Apr 10, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Let me know when you figure this out. It's bound to happen to me again down the road.

    bigal, Apr 10, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    So far I haven't. I don't know what to try next, was hoping for some suggestions.

    The Modfather, Apr 10, 2006