    Wast that when your wife was sick in Victoria? when was the other
    vacation disaster?

    Cathy

    Cathy, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    I like some of these old productions especially some of the musicals.
    I guess I am sappy :)

    But
    I remember Rite Air and Walgreens (and my favorite Eckerds) from when I
    was in St. Petes, Florida area. I used to spend long periods of time in
    Eckers. I haven't seen L.A. Confidential or Touch of Evil. Blockbusters
    here often have previous rental DVD's of newer movies . Sometimes I get
    those, and Walmart has big bins of cheap DVD's at $6.88 Can. but they
    are usually nothing great, but now and then I find something. I found
    "Cocoon" a couple of weeks ago for $5.00. Now I am really getting old. I
    think its a cute movie.

    There are sometimes a couple of decent books
    I only know that Front Row reproduces movies, which I guess you mean,
    and a while back, I got a couple of their vidoes and they were the worst
    quality I've ever seen.. Later I bought one of their DVD movies and it
    was much better. Platinum Productions from the US have terrible quality
    videos, but I bought one of their DVD movies and it was OK. It always
    puzzled me why those reproducing studios bothered to put out such cheap
    videos of some good movies.
    You actually walked and/or hiked 20 miles? Thats a very long way.
    What are "The Gates"? If there were a lot of cameras as you say, it
    must have been some big event, but maybe only to New Yorkers.
    My feet and legs would get sore if I walked a long way. I am really out
    of shape. I have an Exercise bike but manage to find excuses to avoid
    using it.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    Hey!!! Don't talk about getting old. I think I heard someone say
    something like that recently :)

    I liked the Cocoons when the were made, but maybe age has a bit to
    do with it too, since it had Don Ameche in it. I don't know if
    you're familiar with him in "The Bickersons", from back in radio's
    dinosaur days.

    That's nothing unusual for hikers. And maybe a few of us had
    tender feet at the end of the hike, but boy scouts are young and
    recuperate quickly. During wartime lots of soldiers have been known
    to march 30 or 40 miles per day when necessary. And some of the
    more serious hikers on the Appalacian Trail probably average close
    to 30 miles per day for weeks or months at a time, as long as the
    weather doesn't get in the way. Even though it's way beyond what
    the average, sedentary person could do, after a little conditioning
    most of even them could walk long distances.

    It was the most recent "Christo" exhibition. His version of "art"
    is to cover things in cloth, the bigger the better. There were
    thousands of gates scattered throughout Central Park on its paths,
    colored a bright orange. It took him several years to accumulate
    the millions of dollars necessary to manage it all and then tear it
    all down after a two week display. It got a lot of news coverage
    earlier this year so I'm surprised you didn't hear of it. I'm sure
    that Christo is as familiar to many Canadians as he is in the USA
    and Europe. I don't know if he's done anything in South America.

    I'll bet that holds true for most owners of exercise bikes. It's
    a lot easier to talk yourself into walking more, especially if you
    can find a convenient excuse. Here's one: When you get your
    digital camera, try to find places that have things to photograph
    that are in comfortable walking distance. At first don't even
    consider turning it into exercise. Eventually you'll probably find
    that you're walking much farther than you'd have thought possible.
    If you really want to turn it into exercise, bring along 20 pounds
    of AA batteries. Don't try it with lithium batteries. They're
    inferior because they weigh a lot less. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    That must be Ron. I am always telling him not to talk about getting old
    and now I am doing the same thing myself :) - some days I feel old and
    others I don't.
    No, I am not familiar with that. I have heard of The Bickersons but
    thats about it. It could be that it was on the radio before I came to
    Canada. I was more familiar with English radio shows though I can't
    remember the name of them now. It was also mostly English movies I saw
    when I went to the movies. sometimes it was American movies which was a
    great treat as they were mostly in technicolor and English ones were
    black and white, but they were great movies.
    I liked Don Ameche in "Heaven Can Wait" made in 1943 in color. It also
    starred Gene Tierney, beautiful actress. I have it on video. I wish
    they would bring it out on DVD. they are bringing out a lot of these old
    classics on DVD. got "Laura" a couple of weeks ago.
    Well, when you are young these things don't bother you.
    I am not into art, and maybe I either missed The Gates in Central Park,
    or it was not newsworthy on Toronto TV. We get 3 Buffalo stations which
    we have gotten for as long as I've been in this country and CBS,ABC,NBC,
    come to us through Buffalo, and we get the Buffalo news as well as to
    whats going on at the local level. We get CNN as everybody does now.
    When I was in Scotland, my friends over there would watch CNN.
    Well, its a good idea, but there is nothing very interesting around my
    area to photograph.Just Burger King, McDonalds, Mr. Sub, and some high
    rise condos.
    Somehow, I don't think I will be doing that. I will leave those
    activities for you to do. Some days I have arthritis in my legs which
    developed last year, and I find if I walk a long way, it makes my
    arthritis worse. I'm falling apart. :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Note, Eckerds has disappeared, bought from J.C. Penney's by CVS Pharmacy.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    At the moment, I am only able to walk about two blocks, but I hope to
    improve. A month ago, 200 yards was a stretch.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    Yes, The Bickersons were on the radio before you came to Canada.
    They were on it almost before you were born. In an amazing
    coincidence I was listening to the radio today and heard a program
    that has some very good old music (El Sabor Latino) so I started
    recording it. I forgot about it and when I turned the radio on
    several hours later, another program that I'm not familiar with was
    playing really old radio programs. First was one for children, part
    of a series called "Land of the Lost". This episode had something
    to do with a queen of the mermaids, her heir, a blue pearl and some
    unusual, interesting sound effects. So I let the recording
    continue. What followed next really surprised me. It was an
    episode of The Bickersons, with Don Ameche and Frances Langford as
    his wife. It was originally broadcast sometime in the late 1940's
    and was called the Dream Show. I had no idea why it was called that
    but soon found out. The show was sponsored by some product called
    Dream. It might have been a shampoo, but I wasn't listening very
    closely while the original commercial was played. After that came a
    Suspense episode starring Edward G. Robinson. I'll listen to it in
    a couple of days when I head out with the camera. It's pollen
    producing time here, but there are lots of flowers blooming waiting
    to be immortalized. If I'm not prevented by one of the pollens I'm
    allergic to.

    Now those are the kind of classics I prefer. I haven't seen that
    version of "Heaven Can Wait", only the 1978 remake with Warren
    Beatty and Julie Christie. The one you got is supposed to be much
    better, but both of them are based on "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" (1941)
    which may be the best of the lot. Even if "Laura" wasn't the good
    film that it is, I'd probably get it too just because Gene Tierney's
    in it. :) That's unusual since for me, personality trumps glamour,
    by a wide margin. I'm happier watching Judy Holliday, Paula
    Prentiss, Audrey Tatou, etc.

    Wait until you get your camera. I'm sure that there are many
    thousands of better photo opportunities around you than those four.
    If you let it, the camera can allow you to see many of the things
    around you that normally go unnoticed. I took some pictures the
    other day of some local trees that were starting to turn reddish due
    to their flowers blooming. I had no idea what they were, but just
    wandering around and looking more closely, found one of them had a
    small placque attached to the trunk identifying it as "LITTLELEAF
    LINDEN (Tilia Cordata)". You could be pleasantly surprised too.
    My personal theory says that walking will make it better! I'm
    probably totally wrong, but my experience is that about 25 years ago
    I started to get intermittent arthritic-like pains in my finger
    joints that slightly interfered with guitar playing. I did nothing
    about it, and continued playing. In the last year or two I've
    started to get similar pains in some of my toes. The fingers are
    still fine, having been problem free for the last 24 years or so.
    Based on that, I plan to keep walking. <g> You may have a different
    type of arthritis, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but only
    if your doctor hasn't put you on a salt-free diet. :)

    Gotta go and turn up the radio now. Sounds like Keely Smith.
    Yes, it was! So the radio stays on. Anything that interferes with
    turning on the TV is a good thing in my book.

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2005
  8. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    I hope you have a swift recovery, but is there a typo above, like
    maybe you meant "A month ago, 20 yards was a stretch"? Two blocks
    is somewhat less than 200 yards. I forget the exact rule of thumb,
    but from what I recall, there are either 20 or 24 blocks per mile.

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2005
  9. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    Maybe not here in NY. About a year or two ago I discovered one of
    the local chains was bought out and several of their locations were
    replaced by Eckards. What you say about them being bought by CVS
    may be true, but I passed a local Eckards just 3 days ago and there
    was no sign of a name change yet.

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2005
  10. Cathy

    Frank ess Guest

    My memory is that 8 city (Los Angeles) blocks is a mile. You figure
    1760 yards per mile, a block is close to 200 yards. Twenty blocks in
    1760 yards makes for pretty small blocks.

    Any road, Ron, do some imaging of the recovery kind. It speeds things
    up considerably.

    Frank ess, Apr 25, 2005
  11. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    Different city, different blocks. FWIW, the blocks in NYC have
    different length and width dimensions, depending on whether you're
    traveling from street to street (short) or avenue to avenue (long).
    The long dimension may be 8 per mile, but I'm pretty sure that what
    I've seen on the internet as well as in manuals sold to cab/taxi
    drivers only referred to the shorter "street to street" dimension
    when referring to the number of blocks per mile. Surely even LA
    blocks must not each be a perfect square mile, but must have a
    shorter dimension too. If not, they'd be really humongous blocks.
    :)

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2005
  12. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sorry, but this is Texas. A 'block' here is 1/4 mile, generally. The
    one I walk (I live on a dead end street) measures .2 mile, according to
    my GPS.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  13. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, since I walk the same block all the time, it would get pretty
    repetitive.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  14. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I just measured some blocks with MS Streets and Trips. In downtown
    (Fort Worth) there are 18 to 20 blocks/mile. In the suburbs this
    expands to about 4 to 6. So I guess the downtown dwellers are right,
    for where they are.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  15. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It was my understanding they all were sold to two companies, CVS being
    the one who bought all of them in my area, but it may be that the other
    company didn't have the name recognition, and didn't change the names as
    CVS has.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  16. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    At the risk of being called a "blockhead" I'll venture a reason
    why the short dimension might the standard for referring to
    blocks/mile, and not just in cities. I've noticed in many suburbs
    that you can often go great distances along streets before getting
    to an intersection. This length isn't standard, but can be 1/10th
    of a mile, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or more. But even in most suburban
    housing developments the streets that are at a right angle to the
    long street dimension are much shorter. Just enough so that the
    block is wide enough to accommodate the width of two houses along
    with the back yards that separate them. This allows the houses to
    be packed closely so as to sell more houses per square mile. Houses
    parked on acres of land don't tend to be built on "blocks" but along
    or set back from long winding roads or just off smaller highways.
    But something tells me that block lengths aren't very standard at
    all and can be whatever anyone wants them to be. Miles, kilometers
    and cubits have precise dimensions. Using blocks to to describe
    distances to travel is less precise than using those, but more
    precise than saying "a fur piece" or "yonder down the road". :)

    ASAAR, Apr 25, 2005
  17. Cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am pretty sure there is no 'standard' for block length. Phoenix seems
    to have blocks twice as long in the east-west direction (8/mile) as in
    the north-south direction. Galveston, Tx., has about 14/mile in either
    direction (one of the most orderly cities I know of). In all the cases
    I checked, blocks tend to lengthen in the suburbs, while the concept is
    pretty much meaningless in rural areas, and in some residential areas
    where the streets appear to wander aimlessly in every direction in an
    attempt to confuse everyone.

    I guess I will have to stop using 'local terms' like that when on an
    international medium.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2005
  18. Cathy

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    I have a lot of slides and film images that I am in the process of scanning.
    Did much of my past photography in the film world so do not have online just
    yet. But glad to share with all.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Apr 25, 2005
  19. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    When were they on radio in the US? They may not have been broadcast in
    Canada.
    You don't know when I was born. I just gave you an idea :)

    .. In an amazing
    I hardly ever listen to the radio, just once in a while I listen to the
    news when in the car. Otherwise, I would never listen to it. Maybe The
    Bickersons is on radio all the time in your area and you just never
    heard it before? I like Edward G. Robinson in some of his old movies.
    The Heaven can wait version with Warren Beatty wasn't up to much. I like
    Julie Christie (Doctor Zhivago - she was great in that one). But I never
    liked Warren Beatty. I have "Here comes Mr. Jordan" on video. Its very
    good too. I wouldn't have thought that Heaven Can wait (the 1943
    version) with Don Ameche was based on "Here comes Mr Jordan", since the
    story in Mr. Jordan is totally different than "Heaven can wait". Usually
    sequels have much the same story as the original movie. Heaven can wait
    is more about
    Don Ameche's marriage and affairs. Here comes Mr. Jordan has nothing to
    do with
    those things. Robert Montgomery is a boxer. The only thing the two
    movies have in common is both are supposedly being taken before their
    time and looking for a replacement body.
    Maybe,but its not a very interesting area where I live.
    Walking is ok for me.
    I have never liked salt for some reason, and never add it to my food, as
    there is enough salt in foods. I have the common osteoarthritis that
    most people have. The Rheumatologist I went to, says to walk but not
    long a long way as its bad for the leg and hip bones when you have
    arthritis. Non weight bearing exercises even like my exercise bike or
    swimming is better.
    I'll take the TV :)

    Cathy

    Cathy, Apr 27, 2005
  20. Cathy

    ASAAR Guest

    Yes, they were on the radio in the U.S. I don't know if they were
    broadcast by Canadian stations, but it's possible. Even if not, the
    U.S. broadcasts probably could have been heard by many in Canada.
    No, I don't know when you were born, but I assumed that whenever it
    was, it was within 10 years of a Bickersons broadcast. That gives
    me a leeway of 20 years, and so saying "They were on it almost
    before you were born" would work out if your D.O.B. falls sometime
    No. It's the kind of radio program that seems to play random
    selections of radio broadcasts from the 30's to the 60's. Anything
    they can get their hands on. This particular program is on either
    once per week or every other week.

    There's a greater similarity between HCMJ and the latter HCW
    (boxer vs. football player). But directors have a great leeway in
    changing films for personal, artistic, or even commercial reasons
    (to attract larger audiences). One obvious example - consider when
    Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories. Many of the films
    drastically changed the settings in order to have Sherlock oppose
    Nazi saboteurs. Two more examples - Most people wouldn't think that
    the classic SF film "Forbidden Planet" had any thing to do with
    English literature, yet it was based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest".
    And if you saw Kurasawa's classic "The Seven Samurai", set in a 16th
    century Japanese village, you might not think that it would be the
    model for many remakes that were seemingly quite different. John
    Sturges' western, "The Magnificent Seven" was one of those. Some
    remakes are little more than the same film with a different cast.
    Better directors are more prone to make much greater changes due to
    their own creative vision. Some are more obvious than others.

    I suppose that would be true if you're mainly interested in taking
    pictures of family, friends, and places you visit. Some people
    enjoy looking for interesting flora and fauna to capture, even at
    times, little bugs and bigger bugs. :)

    The couch potato's motto! :)

    ASAAR, Apr 27, 2005